You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:59 pm 

We were recently given the opportunity to purchase a lakefront lot at a great price (which is a huge dream of ours). I recently found out that the region has some hazelnut trees. Our three kids are allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. Could being in the presence of these trees cause a reaction? Even if the trees are far removed from our site, are there dangers to us (aside from the obvious of having hazelnuts on the trees/ground)?
I've never encountered tree nuts in the outdoors before (perhaps they are uncommon where we live), so this is a whole new area of concern for us. Obviously, we would not purchase land where there were obvious risks around us. Any comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I don't know. I looked in the archived Ask the Allergist section ( http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=73) and I came across a question about reacting to allergens in wood when wood working.
Quote:
Q My son has severe allergy to tree nuts and peanuts. He is taking a woodworking shop and the teacher questions if he should be working around walnut wood or other woods. He has never reacted from fumes of nuts. (Also, the current shop has a new ventilation system.)

Dr. Waserman: The question of whether the woods of nut trees are a risk for those with nut allergy comes up frequently. In the case of peanut or tree nut allergy, the proteins which are responsible for the allergic reaction are concentrated in the nuts themselves, with only very small amounts elsewhere in the plant. Reactions generally take place after shelling a nut or eating it.
Reactions to various woods have not been reported, so are probably rare. Your son should be able to participate in a woodworking shop safely. The fact that the shop is well-ventilated is wise additional protection, as is having an epinephrine auto-injector on hand.

You might want to check out this article as well Food Allergies and the Cottage: Finding Safe Haven http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=58

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb