You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: how do you cope?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:06 pm 

how do you all cope with people who act like your health problem infringes on their freedom?

the reason i ask, i had an incident at work on the weekend, saturday to be exact. one of my long time co-workers. who KNOWS better as i have talked to her about this before, and put up some info about my allergies, decided to watlz in reaking of perfume! i work in a rather small space, and ended up having to leave an hour early, and double my dose of antihistimes (as well as get my best friend who is also sensative to scents [she gets violently sick] to bring me some MORE meds from her home when we met up). i was so frustrated, this is a person i have worked with for about a year now, someone who knows better, and when i talked to her she basically shrugged me off. i swear when she came on shift (thank god i was done) on monday she was once again wearing purfume, i think, my allergies had gone haywire, and i could smell people's soaps from five feet away, so it may have been she just gotten out of the shower.

now i've been reading some of the articles that have been linked recently where some people just don't give a hoot. one of my other co-workers (a seventeen year old who doens't have allergies herself but my know someone who does cause she's SO contentious when it comes to peanuts/nuts, or she might just have a clue there are kids out there that do!) hit the nail on the head "i hate it when people get annoyed with people with allergies. it's not like they asked to be allergic to it."

so what are you coping mechinsims to people who get annoyed by yours or your children's [life threatening] allergies, interfere with their "freedom"?

this is what i did

1) saturday i went out and got nice and tipsy, then called my boss to cancel my sunday shift cause i was soo stressed out (and was coming down with a cold). but i don't think that was a very good way to deal with it and it was rather costly. i ended up losing seven hours of work because of one idiot, as well as running up a nice bar tab.

2) monday when i returned i inandated my boss with info from the city of ottawa scent awareness campain, as well as stuff from the lung assoc incl their info on how to make a scent free work enviornment which he brought tuesday to a manager's meeting, so in this current work place there be some stricter rules coming down. rather then just restricting scents around me personally (that clearly didn't work and i'm sure i'm not the only one with a problem, but most ppl won't end up in hosital with an asthma attack). but that one i have to wait to see what happens with cause it's now in my boss' boss' hands, but i'm keeping positive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Two things come to mind here.
1. This could be seen as a form of bullying in the workplace.
2. If you become ill while at work, you could be compensated through WSIB. If your employer was aware of your condition and allowed this person to continue to come to work wearing perfume and you died from an anaphylaxis reaction, would your employer be held criminally responsible as per bill C-45?
This last one might seem to be the most extreme but...why would she knowingly put you in harms way? Does your employer know your condition and has he/she educated the workplace? Is your employer supportive? Why should you suffer financially because of her actions? I really think this can be seen as a form of harassment.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:24 pm 

well the person in question is incredibly self centred, and if there were enough staff i don't think she'd have a job, she has taken a "uniform optional" approach to her job, and well i don't think she'll be around much longer.

my employer is VERY supportive, and as soon as i brought up the issue he was like what? i've asked people a million times we are in a people industry no one should have scents. the information that i gave him will be put into our new health and safety manual (that HR is dragging their butts on) as well on on this mini-memo with our schedule there is a note that the whole workplace (not just my department) is going scent-free which is the way public places are going in ottawa, i work in an arena.

so no that allt hat is out there, if she does it again i know it's a personal attack on me, and then i will again be go to my boss and ask what gives, because it's obvious to anyone who works directly with me, or was there on saturday that i spearheaded this whole scent free thing, but it's also a possible city by-law, and most of my co-workers are supporting me in thsi matter rather then the other person, so i don't think that i'm going to have another problem

i guess the educating people thing really does work, and i feel sooo much better now and i can see why so many people chose it as an outlet!! i really feel like i've accomplished something (or expidited it, as the case may be)!

as for your bullying thing, my friend totally had that happen to her in one of her jobs, where one woman would wear more perfume the more she was asked not to, and the woman actually oppted to quit her job rather then not wear purfume, so i hope it doesn't get that drastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:00 pm 

Aw, that's so terrible.

I had a similar incident this week. I work in an "open concept" office (read: a gymnasium-sized sea of desks in close proximity), and the people who work in my area have been told not to eat nuts and peanuts because we all share printers, faxes, copiers, the kitchen area, etc - not to mention that someone eating a steamy bowl of pad thai next to me is more than enough to put me in shock.

So I am sitting in my cubicle the other day, and I suddenly smell peanuts really strongly. It was a woman a couple of desks over eating peanut butter on a toasted bagel. I went over and reminded her that she couldn't have peanuts in our area. Her response? "It's not peanuts. It's peanut BUTTER."

Can you BELIEVE that??

But as to what I do when people seem to willfully buck the rule - which they do - I go to my superior and ask him to remind people of the rule, which he does. If that doesn't have an effect, I go up a notch higher on the ladder and complain. When people hear the rules from on high, they usually obey.

I did have trouble recently, however, when they were renovating our office, and the drywall dust and paint fumes were triggering my asthma. At that point, the management seemed much less willing to accommodate me. (Maybe because it would imply liability of some sort? Not sure...) I wanted to work from home so I wouldn't be up all night every night wheezing, and they said no - and offered no other alternatives. Brutal. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:47 pm 

Wow... I cannot believe they wouldn't let you work from home. That is really not accommodating someone with a serious health issue.

As for the person who claimed peanut butter wasn't peanuts... I'm speechless. I can only hope that people like this experience some sort of epiphany at some point in life and feel really really bad for their horrendous behaviour.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:21 pm 
Site Admin

http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications ... nsafe-Work
Quote:
Part 3 Rights and Responsibilities
Refusal of Unsafe Work
Policies
Guidelines
Search
3.12 Procedure for refusal
(1) A person must not carry out or cause to be carried out any work process or operate or cause to be operated any tool, appliance or equipment if that person has reasonable cause to believe that to do so would create an undue hazard to the health and safety of any person.

(2) A worker who refuses to carry out a work process or operate a tool, appliance or equipment pursuant to subsection (1) must immediately report the circumstances of the unsafe condition to his or her supervisor or employer.

(3) A supervisor or employer receiving a report made under subsection (2) must immediately investigate the matter and

(a) ensure that any unsafe condition is remedied without delay, or

(b) if in his or her opinion the report is not valid, must so inform the person who made the report.

(4) If the procedure under subsection (3) does not resolve the matter and the worker continues to refuse to carry out the work process or operate the tool, appliance or equipment, the supervisor or employer must investigate the matter in the presence of the worker who made the report and in the presence of

(a) a worker member of the joint committee,

(b) a worker who is selected by a trade union representing the worker, or

(c) if there is no joint committee or the worker is not represented by a trade union, any other reasonably available worker selected by the worker.

(5) If the investigation under subsection (4) does not resolve the matter and the worker continues to refuse to carry out the work process or operate the tool, appliance or equipment, both the supervisor, or the employer, and the worker must immediately notify an officer, who must investigate the matter without undue delay and issue whatever orders are deemed necessary.

3.13 No discriminatory action
(1) A worker must not be subject to discriminatory action as defined in section 150 of Part 3 of the Workers Compensation Act because the worker has acted in compliance with section 3.12 or with an order made by an officer.

(2) Temporary assignment to alternative work at no loss in pay to the worker until the matter in section 3.12 is resolved is deemed not to constitute discriminatory action.

Note: The prohibition against discriminatory action is established in the Workers Compensation Act Part 3, Division 6, sections 150 through 153.

I believe that bill C-45 (manager be criminally responsible) if you became gravely ill after being force to work in conditions which are dangerous to your health.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb