You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Epipen jr question
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:16 pm 

Epipens were left in the car last night ( -5 celcius). I asked the pharmacist about it and she was a bit vague about if they would be effective or not. Does anyone have any experience with this? I will probably just go replace them to be on the safe side but as it is the long weekend I can't get a prescription.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 pm 

I actually did this a few weeks ago as well :oops: (sooo out of my character to forget them there). Mine were twinjects, and I phoned the makers of twinject and they said they were no good and to replace them. I'm sure epipen would be the same as well.

My girls prescription had run out...so I bought them and sent the receipts to my insurance provider (ask phamacist for an "official" receipt to send into insurance)

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:56 pm 

Something like that, I might keep them as back-ups, but I wouldn't want to be betting my life on them working properly. And, that's literally what we're doing, right?

For future reference, you could ask your doctor to prescribe with a refill. What I mean is, if he prescribes 2 epi-pens, have him fill in "one refill" so that in an emergency you can get another one without having to contact him.

Saskmommy, can the pharmacist give you an official receipt for insurance when he doesn't actually have a prescription from a doctor? I didn't think that was allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:47 pm 

Good point Annamarie...now that you mention it...it does seem odd. Maybe the pharmacist did it because we had refills on file that were expired by only afew days. We had our yearly check up for the girls the next day. Also with my husbands insurance plan through work epi pens/twinjects were not covered so we had to request them, and it was approved. So it must be on file that the insurance covers them for us.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:08 pm 

If you aren't concerned about getting insurance to reimburse you, you can get an EpiPen and/or a Twinject without a prescription. I left our son's behind last summer while visiting and was able to get a replacement without one. I did have a pharmacist say I needed a prescription, but instead of arguing the point, I just went to another pharmacy and got one no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:31 pm 

Should I just call around and see which pharmacy will give me one without a prescription? My sister in-law was literally having a severe asthma attack in front of the pharmacist one time and he would not prescribe her a replacement inhaler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:28 pm 

If you want a starting point, on two different occasions I picked one up at one of the Rexall Family of Pharmacies without prescriptions.
http://www.rexall.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:33 pm 

Another point to ponder if you don't get reimbursed by insurance.

There is a difference in tax depending on whether a medicine is prescribed or OTC. Tax is a percentage of the cost, whereas when you purchase a prescription you pay a set dispensing fee. Ask the pharmacist to let you know the total cost both ways, so you can get what's cheaper. Usually paying the tax is cheaper, but on an expensive drug it might be the dispensing fee that's cheaper.

Of course, in an emergency get what you can -- this is for future reference. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:52 pm 

I went to an after hours clinic and got a prescription. After dragging my 3 year old from the clinic to the pharmacy where we waited 1/2 hour, the pharmacist said he could not fill the prescription because the dr did not print out her name and we could not decode her signature. AAARG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:32 pm 

gem, I found our original discussion ( http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 12&start=0 ) regarding whether or not a prescription is needed for Epinephrine. Gwen posted the following info for us:
(Maybe we need to screen print this and carry it with us?? )

Quote:
Re-raising the original discussion about provinces and whether Epis, Twinjects are OTC ... Alexandre Garcia, the product manager of Twinject, noticed this discussion thread and sent me the following to note to help answer some of these questions:

"One fact that I wanted to clarify is the regulation in regards to the need for prescription to get an auto-injector. In Canada, purchase of epinephrine auto-injectors (Twinject & EpiPen) does not require any prescription.
Epinephrine injectors are listed as a Schedule 2 drug in Canada. The rational for having this drug as non-prescription is as follows: The drug must be readily available under exceptional circumstances when a prescription is not practical. Such a drug might be required for a serious medical situation and the patient should have access to it to prevent a possible health emergency. An example of such an exceptional circumstance is availability of injectable epinephrine for anaphylactic reactions.

Prescriptions are only needed if the patient wants to get reimbursed [under a health plan].

I think it is important that consumers have the right information. In that aspect it would be great if you could update the Forum regarding this issue. See the references below.

Regards,
Alexandre Garcia

Schedule II

1. The drugs and medicines in this Schedule are the drugs listed from time to time in Schedule II of the National Drug Schedules, which are part of Canada's National Drug Scheduling System published by the National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities, as that Schedule is from time to time amended.

2. (1) The drugs and medicines listed in this Schedule do not require a prescription as a condition of sale, but are only available from a pharmacist or a certified dispenser and must be kept within an area of the pharmacy to which there is no public access and no opportunity for self- selection.

(2) The direct involvement and professional intervention from a pharmacist or certified dispenser is required prior to the release of the drug to the patient or the patient's agent.

3. The drugs and medicines in this Schedule must be sold in accordance with the standards of practice from time to time approved by the Council.

http://www.ocpinfo.com/client/ocp/OCPHo ... pinephrine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:39 am 

Yes, I should print it out. When I went back to the pharmacy lats night , the pharmacist had tracked down the dr but then told me they had no twinjects left and would not give me an Epipen even though dd was on record as having ones prescribed previously. So off I went to the 24 hr Shopper's to pick one up. 45 minutes later I had to leave to get back home as my husband had to go out and STILL NO TWINJECT. I'm off now to see if it is ready. This has been a very frustrating experience. :evil: