You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:21 pm 

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place but am hoping to hear from other people who lurk or post what their opinions and experiences are...

We have a 3 year old daughter who is anaphylactic for EGG, SESAME and DAIRY (such a relief to post somewhere where people will GET it). One of her 911 reactions was to undeclared egg - the company makes pasta and since they follow GMP (good manufacturing practices) and sanitise between products, didn't disclose that egg pasta was manufactured on the same line. Being parents to a newly diagnosed child, we likely were not asking the right questions.

We are trying to expand what foods are available to our daughter so she has variety and some semblance of normalcy (we're also vegetarians who keep kosher, so she has enough "difference" without allergies). We get ecstatic when we can find companies who have "allergen free" products on a dedicated line and then feel fear (paranoia?) when we know her allergens are stored in the facility.

What do you do? How do you manage sensitivity to trace amounts of allergens? What is within your risk tolerance when companies say they batch test? Can you please share what you have experienced, what your allergists have said and how you feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:11 pm 

I have never been really comfortable with products made on the same lines as dairy, egg (peanut or treenut). My comfort level varies by company...some are better than others. My youngest also reacted to pasta with no warning for egg. Infact we use tinkyada pasta now...even though it is made of rice, just because its the safest we can find. I tend to stick to basics a lot...like rice, rice pasta, homemade breads, soy milk, lots of veggies and fruits. I don't eat meat either...my youngest also does not...but my husband eats meat and my oldest eats beef and pork occassionally.

Do you have any specific products you are wondering about?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject: reply to saskmommyof2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:31 am 

no specific products (i can dream of a bread, a cracker or a chocolate chip but alas i think they remain a dream). between the egg, sesame and dairy allergies there are not many companies/products out there. of course with sesame not being prioritised in the US, many of the US companies can't even provide information.
for us, it is mainly that our daughter has more severe allergies than many of our friends with allergic kids, or adults we know. most of them seem to be much more relaxed than we can imagine being. after a while, we start to feel that we are being paranoid. just wondering what other people do and if anyone has good tips.
we also use tinkyada pasta. and the eden 60% whole grain and PC organics.
i feel like products that are cleared at some point end up being unsafe later on - seems that products, lines, plants etc change and i feel like the risk is so hard to manage....
just checking in with others....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:04 am 

Hi Eric, Our son is also allergic to egg and sesame (but not dairy) as well as other foods (please see the list in my signature below). We are also very careful with cross contamination because our son, in the past, experienced allergic reactions due to cross contamination. For example, some "safe" breads for our son went through a bread slicer in the bakery, and thus were cross contaminated with sesame and/or egg - we don't do this anymore! In fact, we don't buy bakery bread anymore with the exception of 2 breads we know to be safe because they are made in plants that do not contain his allergens. Even though Canada will label for the 10 allergens appearing on our list, "may contain" is still optional in the labeling. We have a breadmaker and make safe bread and buns, and we do all of our own baking. We know we have to be this careful because of past allergic reactions.

By the way, regarding sesame allergy, I contacted FAAN about a month ago to discuss sesame allergy, and even though it does not yet appear on the list, it is certainly on FAAN's radar as an allergen of concern. I asked if it would appear on labels in the near future, and the person I spoke with said "not to our knowledge". Further FDA testing and backing with scientific numbers would have to accompany support for this to happen, but she felt if anything new were to appear in labels, sesame would be next in line. You might consider calling FAAN yourself and adding support to the need for labeling for sesame allergy.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:33 pm 

I too feel I am much more careful than my friend who has a son allergic to milk/eggs and daughter to peanuts/nuts. My youngest has always reacted in a VERY obvious way. Her skin gets red and hives very easily...so it is pretty obvious when foods are NOT okay with her...my friends little guy is asthmatic...and doesn't react with his skin...so it's not so obvious when he's reacting to trace amounts...even though he might be.

Have you seen these products

http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/

They have choc. chips. We melted some yesterday and made chocolates. Some choc. covered strawberries, and some in molds with and without rice krispies added. I'm not positive if they are okay for sesame allergic since we're not dealing with that one.

Or these

http://www.nonuttin.com/

They have choc chips, chunks, granola bars, awesome cherry baking pieces etc. I'm pretty sure they ship to the U.S. I've ordered from nonuttin online a few times.

I also make my own bread. I have found that it just isn't worth it a lot of the time to try new prepackaged products. My girls are perfectly happy with a little tinkyada, rice, fries, muffins, pancakes or bread, a soy milk, and a veggie....so why stress some prepackaged thing that's not as healthy anyways.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.