You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: eye health and allergies
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:03 pm 

i got a lesson in the importance of my eye health when dealing my allergies over the last few days, and i just felt the need to share this with you guys.

yesterday morning i woke up with pressure in my left eye. i guess some of my eye history is appropriate i have a condition called extrotropia (it's a form of a lazy eye) which i have had one operation for. currently i am presenting symptoms in that that baffles optimolgists and opthimolgists alike, it's a challange, but what can i do. my left eye has classically been my weak eye so i was alarmed.

when i was finally able to talk to my mother (the psw) she was also alarmed and i knew it was time to call my optimologist, this was yesterday. my usual doctor was not in, but the staff had the doctor who was in take a look at my file to see if i needed immediate attention, and he decided that i didn't. i got a call back today around supper time after my own doctor looked at my chart and assesed what i had said over the phone and she came to the conclusion that this is probably not a problem with my eye condition (nor am i at a risk for glaucoma thank god) but rather she feels that this is related to my my allergies!!

i have never had any problems like this, itchyness in my eyes i'm used te, pressure in my eyes that's unnerving! the receptionist who spoke to me said that the office has had a lot of people calling alarmed about their eyes this allergy season! it totally freaked me out, and i felt the need to share this with all of you.

clearly don't mess around when it comes to your eyes, and call your own doctors to be on the safe side, but i hope that this helps anyone who might have the same issue not have a minor heartattack, google the symptom and be worried they may have glaucoma! (this is the only condition that i have no history of in the family so i was very unnerved when i realised that pressure in the eye indicates that)

i have a funny feeling this is gonna be a loooong allergy season ug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:09 pm 

Good information dustytiger. My son has strabismis in both eyes and had his first surgery when he was 3.5 yrs old (he's now 5 yrs old). He will need another surgery later this year. He does not complain of hayfever, however, if he does ever complain of pressure in his eyes, we will not jump to conclusions - but of course, we will take him to see his opthomologist right away. He sees a pediatric opthomologist every 2-3 months.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses