You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Allergic Reaction?
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:26 pm
Posts: 89
Location: Toronto
Just wanted some advice...
Last night we were at a relative's house (who is known to eat nuts, but cleaned the house before we arrived) we had dinner which was nut free. Once my son started playing with the other children, he got one hive below his lip (and of course the panic sets in!) This soon started to fade, but as the night progressed, it was followed by hives behind his ears and some on his neck (no where else on his body). He was running around a lot, sweating and playing with the others. He did not complain of any other symptoms. These hives would again fade, but he would start to itch them again and they would flare up. I really didn't know what to do :roll: ...should I administer the epipen and take him to the hospital, or was it not an allergic reaction? As we were getting ready to leave, he began to cough and his voice began to get hoarse (the hives were faded for the mostpart)...so we did end up taking him to the hospital to get checked. As we were driving, he stopped coughing and the hives were gone. By the time we arrived at the hospital, all that remained were some scratch marks from his itching behind the ears. They checked him out at the hospital and said he was fine. He is okay today except throughout the day he had (on and off) itchy, red, watery eyes, sneezing, and occassionally itched the same spots on his neck...sooooo....my gut tells me he has seasonal allergies and/or allergic to dust (I was also told by the allergist he may have mild asthma and have given him the puffer before for "coughing fits"), but I can't help wonder if he did have an allergic reaction to perhaps trace amounts of nuts that may have been on the carpet or furniture...and I feel so very guilty for not giving him the epipen :oops: ...it is almost embarassing that I preach to everyone else not to hesitate to give it to him, and here I am with a potentially life threatening situation on my hands and I don't give it to him. I guess for me it was happening so slowly (my explanation here is quite condensed) but these symptoms occurred over quite a long period of time with gaps of no symptoms in between. Needless to say, I was up every hour or so checking on him last night and was exhausted today (not to mention emotionally a wreck!) Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated...what do you think it was/is?
Ang

_________________
6 1/2 year old son - anaphylactic to tree nuts, allergic to dust and moulds
5 1/2 year old son - no allergies
15 month old son...allergies unknown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Posts: 1643
Location: Toronto
First of all, if they said he was fine at the ospital then he didn't need the epi-pen, so you have nothing to feel guilty about. Keeping in mind that I am an adult with allergies, so maybe a parent would do things differently -- I would have taken benedryl with the beginning of hives. Some people feel that an antihistamine can hide an anaphylactic reaction, but with a suspicion of a contact reaction I would take benedryl.

Coughing and hoarseness can be a symptom of a serious reaction. It can be caused by food allergies, but it can also be caused by dust, pets, or environmental allergies. Has your son been tested for any of them?

You might also want to ask the doctor what you should do if he suffers hoarseness and coughing again. benedryl? epi-pen? puffer? I used to carry a puffer for that, but the cause for me was pets.

Hope you and your son get a good sleep tonight and that tomorrow he's fine.

_________________
self: allergy to sesame seeds and peanuts
3 sons each with at least one of the following allergies: peniciilin, sulfa-based antibiotic, latex, insect bites/stings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:37 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6502
Location: Ottawa
I agree with the pp. We have had our daughter develop hives to contact with her allergen on toys after another child who had eaten her allergen had played with it. I'm sure they cleaned up but few parents of non-allergic children are as obsessed with issues regarding cross-contamination as we are. It is possible that he touched something.
It is also possible that he has seasonal allergies and is in states of hypersensativity. When you add asthma into the equation it really does get hard to determin what is causing what.
I too, wold have given him Benadryl as it appeared to be contact allergies and not a reaction from eating something.
Don't ever feel guilty about going to the hospital if you felt the situation could be or turn deadly. It's an awful feeling when this happens at bedtime as you worry it will worsen when all the world is asleep and you might not hear him.
In our house the rule is if one person feels it warrants a trip to ER we go.
I called 911 last weekend at 11 pm when my husband was on the night shift at work and our daughter was feverish, drooling, unable to speak but indicating pain in her chest, having the skin suck in between her ribs when she took a breath ...
It turned out to be croup but all I could think of was asthma.
I hope your little one is feeling better today.

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:39 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: saskatchewan, canada
Quote:
Last night we were at a relative's house (who is known to eat nuts, but cleaned the house before we arrived) we had dinner which was nut free.


Personally, I don't let my girls eat food (even if the food itself is safe) if its cooked in someone elses kitchen. My mom can't eat wheat (not sure if allergic or severely intolerant) so I am VERY aware how my own bags of sugar, margarine etc. would be off limits for her. Anything can happen...something as basic as flour could be cross contaminated if the person has previously baked with nuts and placed a measuring cup into the flour after the nuts...jam and margarine can be contaminated from a knife previously used on peanut butter (or nutella hazelnut spread)...food residue on plates...cutting boards etc. etc.

_________________
DD age 9 1/2 -peanuts, nuts,
DD age 7 1/2 - milk, eggs, chicken, peanuts, treenuts, cats, dogs,
DS age 2 1/2
Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:50 pm
Posts: 52
I was just told in the ER (recently got some fire ant bites) not to drink or eat hot foods; not to be out in the sun or exercise and get hot for three days after my steroid IV. Body heat can reignite hives and allergic insect bites.

_________________
Allergic to shellfish, penicillin, blackflies, fire ants, harsh chemicals in shampoos; hot foods; molds; did I say fire ants...hehe


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group