You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:46 pm 

i've been on this board a while now, and i must say i've learned so much about allergies, and anapalaxis (tho i still think i spell it wrong but i can't spell well anyway). i guess i just need to share this with it's part food for thought, part observation, part rant, and part compliment to a lot of the mothers on this board.

personally what i think is the biggest hurtle for the anaphalixis community is not people's attitudes about allergies, but ratherhaving to deal with people who think that the word "allergic" pertains only to an intolerance,a mild annoying reaction (such as a rash), or even simply a strong dislike (with gag reflex) rather then associating it with serious and life threatening medical conditon. therefore it is very hard for parents of anaphalictic children to get other people to understand the severity when they think, "well mary's little guy is allergic to peanuts but she just picks them outfor him, so you should seriously chill and stop being so overbaring" when in fact the person who is just eating around their "allergy" probably is intollerant to it.

it really hit me today i was at my usal coffee shop (second cup) and they have a bar that is has the name and then a small little bit underneath that says "no peanuts" (cause it's like a trail mix type thing) now they also sell peanut butter cookies, so don't go running out to the second cup and expect it be safe, (seriously, milk, soy, peanut, tree nut cross contamination everywhere without seeing any ingredient lists) clearly someone in marketing has the same misconception, or it's just so that people who don't like peanuts don't ask the barista (not that anyone reads signs)

anyway while i was waiting for my latte a woman came up and chewed out the barista because there are seeds in the products that look very much like peanuts in this bar she had bought. she got very mad and said the only reason she had bought it was she had a peanut allergic child; now i understand why she was mad, i do. but i had to hold my tongue, since if her child had severe enough reaction to peanuts to warrent you going and screaming at minimum wadger (after they had to deal with her kids who ddn't listen to anything she said) you should probably not have bought anything there because as you can clearly see there are PEANUT BUTTER cookies in their display case below, and they only have ONE pair of tongs. which i know is something all of the moms on here would have seen (and anyone who is older who also has allergies) right away.

(i also must commend the barista because she handled herself well. she appologised to the costomer, and tried to explain that their supplier assures them it's actually seeds not peanuts, but didn't argue, just appoligsed about it. then she actually removed the sign from the showcase)

but then i realised this is probably the kinds of people that people who write in complaining about peanut bans in schools get their information. trust me i would have been one of those kids would would have tried to not eat anything for lunch, but jam on it's own is pretty good. of course they are not going to think that a child is in serious danger of dying when the people who are the most nasty about their "allergy" are the people who don't have an anaphalactic reaction, and thus don't care about cross conatamination, ect they just care about the child (or self) eating the peanut and getting violently sick to their stomach.

anyway, i think i needed to rant, and being on this board has made me so hyper aware of a different side of allergies that i'm glad i don't have to deal with, because having an itchy nose in spring, and skin that is perma-itchy sounds a whole lot better then having to constantly be looking behind my back for an allergen whose traces can be found anywhere, with a public who just simply doesn't get that the price of coming in contact with the allergen could be death.

it's another one of those times i have to say to especailly the mothers who keep their kids from their respective allergies, you all deserve a medal just in time for mothers day.

(i suppose this end is also something of a" toot-toot" and happy mothers day!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:17 pm 

Thanks Dusty tiger.

Quote:
a small little bit underneath that says "no peanuts"

That is VERY misleading. Anyone "new" to the allergy might not be thinking about the cross contamination and trust that sign.

I totally agree that sometimes even others with the allergy don't get it. My mom works at a hospital (kitchen) and continually gets requests for food from the parents of hospitalized allergic kids (she's kind of become the go to person for food requests for allergic patients)...and the food they are requesting is NOT okay...my mom knows it...tries to explain why it's not okay...but the parents are like "well he has that stuff all the time"...as the kid is hospitalized for severe athsma, infected eczema etc...and the parent just won't listen.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:04 am 

i agree that it's misleading, and just sent an email to the company to see what they have to say about the sign, and about their allergy policy in general, which i assume is the same any fast paced business will be like our company policy of "we cannot garuntee about cross contamination because of nature of our business and the multi-use prep table, as well our suppliers do not have any polcies in place"

now that hospital kitchen thing is REALLY scary, when their child is presenting symptoms they still don't get it. *shudder* if i had a child with severe food allergies i would want him attached to my hip to try and keep him safe!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:50 am 

dustytiger wrote:
i if i had a child with severe food allergies i would want him attached to my hip to try and keep him safe!!

My kids don't have food allegies and I still want them attached to my hip. Walking is very difficult since two of them are in their 20's now. :lol:

I know a few people that have kids with allegies that are minor reactions. I'm happy to say that they do not freak out, and they are very understanding and supportive of parents who's children have anaphylactic reactions. They do not feel imposed upon with the peanut ban at the school. They are just thankful they are not in that position themselves. So, there are some understanding people out there. :)

But, a few years ago I read an article in an on-line newspaper about eating in restaurants. The writer actually told people if they wanted something cooked a specific way to tell the chef they had an allergy, because then the chef would do anything for them. :roll: Quite a few e-mails were sent to the writer of that article explaining how deadly that information was for those of us actually living with allergies. If the chef keeps seeing people who say they are allergic, but then eating that ingredient in something else they will stop being so careful. Plus, it leaves them with a false sense of *cross contamination isn't serious*. And for many of us, it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:22 am 

I think there is also a problem because there are so many levels of severity of allergies and so many levels of care taken by allergic individuals. For instance, I work with a man who says he is allergic to nuts, but, we went to a buffet lunch and he helped himself to the Thai noodle salad. I asked him if he felt comfortable eating at the buffet, especially that salad, and he was ok with it. However, whether it was that salad or not (there were many other food items on his plate) he ended up having a reaction and was taken to the hotel's nurse, who gave him some benedryl. He had no medication with him - this is a grown man! Some time later, we had a group lunch where there were hazelnuts on the individual salads that we were served. He asked that no hazelnuts be served on his - once again I questioned him about that. He was ok with it. I asked whether he carried an epi-pen - his response was that they were too expensive; another incident, he was eating birthday cake at the office with some sort of crumby coating (scary looking to me) so............ when I was agonizing over my allergic daughter travelling, another co-worker suggested I speak with ****, the allergic man - perhaps he had some tips. My response was "anyone who eats the way he does, lives in a whole other allergy world than we do - not even the same thing" - I guess my point is, every one has their own level of vigilence and attention that they require, so it may be confusing to non-allergic people watching how allergic people around them deal with things. We definitely do not put much faith in other people when eating out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:50 am 

Thanks for your kind words dustytiger --
You're so right about the varying degrees of awareness, even within the allergic community. There have been a few people that I have met along the way that don't understand the seriousness of their kids' allergy -- allowing their children to eat "may contains" and attend b-day parties, eating food without their epinephrine on hand. "their Epipen is in the office at school..." :? I struggle with how to deal with these situations -- a part of me says "keep your mouth closed -- who am I to tell someone else how to parent...." and then the other part of me so wants to help educate them because it's their child's life at stake. It's a tough line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:02 pm 

ethansmom, what I have done in the past is let parents know that if in the future they feel they need to be more vigilant, I offer to give them a list of food companies that label well. I try to make sure I sound respectful of their right to deal with an allergy differently than I do. One parent has a child with multiple food allergies, so she really cannot eliminate all sources of cross contamination for so many foods.

Another parent, just didn't want to deal with all that *reading labels and such*. Ban peanuts from her home? But, everyone else in the family likes it so much. I gave her a list of bread companies that have breads safe for someone with a sesame seed allergy -- I even told her where she could purchase them (multiple grocery stores, not just some out of the way place). She got a vacant look and said he doesn't react that strongly.

I pointed out to her that her son reacted to the smell of pb and he reacted when sesame seeds were heated in the microwave. That sounds like a pretty strong reaction to me. It's now been a few years and fortunately he has not had an anaphylactic reaction -- but as far as I'm concerned she is playing with fire. Her church offered to go peanut and sesame free for her child -- she said no.

But, in the end, all I can do is offer to help if/when she wants it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am 

AM -- that sounds like a good approach. It is scary though, when you know the potential for harm and others just don't see allergies with the same degree of urgency. I know everyone creates their own experience -- I just hate to imagine how someone would feel if tragedy struck, only because they didn't want to deal with reading those darn labels!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:47 am 

The FDA is not watching over them and we're the guinea pigs.