You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:20 pm 

Hi there;
My name is Karen, I have never used this type of medium before so please bare with me umtil I get the hang of it. I was so happy to see there was a forum such as this. WOW. I have a 5 year old son who has a severe dairy allergy. I whis this forum was available years ago. Especially when he was staring school.
I have just ordered a pouch and protective holders for my son's EPI's. I do have to say I am a bit reluctant about him having them attached to him. However I do understand the importance. Up until this point he has had a larger case (pencil case) that goes every where with him. At recess he brings it outside and the yard duty teacher holds on to it. I have decided to get the belt in hopes to start instilling the responsibility in him to alway have it on like his medic-alert. Any advice or pros an cons from those who use this device :?: :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:37 pm 

Hi Karen,

There are a few different kinds of carriers that are available for epi-pens. Have you already ordered one?

My son started wearing the e-belt by zoni inc. It is available through Canadian Medic Alert and has their symbol on the front of it. He has been wearing it since he was in jk - he's now in grade 1. I was very leery of doing this - he was so young. But, his school wants the children to carry their epi-pens *on their person* because they change classes, and have different teachers throughout the day, and at recess the teacher carrying the epi-pen could be at the other end of the yard when it's needed. So, I (grudgingly) agreed. Now - I wouldn't let my son attend a school that wouldn't allow him to carry it himself. :lol:

Neither he nor his classmates have ever tried to play with it. Last week was the first time he's ever complained of being teased. Some older kids started calling him *doctor*. :roll: If they do it again I'll have to go in to the office. For now, I'm hoping it was just a one time thing.

Prior to getting him his e-belt I always carried his epi-pens with my own. Now, even if I'm not with him (out with is father or older brothers) he's in the habit of wearing his epi-pen himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:16 am 

Thanks Annamarie;
I have just ordered it yersterday and I ordered it from the company that supplies them for medic alert. They had a package deal on. I'm glad to hear that your son has not had any issues by carrying it. My concern was that it would get caugh on play gear or become bothersome for him. Also the responsibility for him. I will be starting him this summer with it so that he is used to it for grade 1.
thanks again
Karen :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:07 pm 

Did you get the one that is a belt? or the one that hangs from a belt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:41 pm 

It's called the ana-tote. He can wear it two different ways. I choose this one because his inhaler and two epi-pens, plus the pen protector can fit. Also the belt is removable, good for sizing up.
Karen :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

They are made to carry the inhaler but what about the areochamber?
We keep a fannypack in dd's backpack. It holds an areochamber both inhalers, Benedry, a medicine spoon, 3 Epipens, her healthcard, hospita cards, Dr.'s cards, a list of medicines she is allergic to, vaccination record, money for phone calls and parking, telephone numbers for dh and I, bandaides and stickers. I can't fit all of that into an Epipen case. It's my lifeline and security blanket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:42 pm 

I wanted my son to be able to have his pens and inhaler on his person, so this seemed like the next step.
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:03 am 
Site Admin

I guess I'll have to get the belt when dd starts school in the fall. I don't want to think of time being wasted while someone goes to get it from a locked cupboard. They probably have to sign it out...
The belt allows the Epi-pen to be close, but I think I'll continue to use the fannypack for everything else.
I'd better get on that and call the school to discuss their protocal. Problem is we're moving and aren't sure which school dd will be in. (just two options though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:10 pm 

I think with the new Sabrina's law the proticals with be set whitch will make it much easier. I changed from the public school to the catholic school due to scary experiences and lack of confidence in the teacher and principal. Their solution to pizza day was " he shoulld not come that day" (every wednesday). :x
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Karen, it's for just that sort of reason, we need Bill 3!
Let's hope all of Canada adopts this law. Kind of a no brainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:08 pm 

WARDEN wrote:
I think with the new Sabrina's law the proticals with be set whitch will make it much easier. I changed from the public school to the catholic school due to scary experiences and lack of confidence in the teacher and principal. Their solution to pizza day was " he shoulld not come that day" (every wednesday). :x
Karen

What a pitiful way to handle your situation, shame on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:05 pm 

My Gosh!
My best to all of you having to deal with such uncaring teachers and prinipals.
I hope that the children of today will be protected and cherished ; their just children.!
I hated school and the uncaring attitudes !
I still have people say what is that and I have a Anna Tote which carries two pens, and my inhaler, my purse has the benedryl, health card,cell phone and emergency numbers.
( saw all the questioning about the containers for the pens)
Here I am in my 47!
I hope that the Bill 3 proctects the children they deserve it
They are the Future..................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:30 pm 

If there are a lot of things your child needs to have with them, consider checking the medic-alert web-site. They used to have a fanny-pack with the medic-alert symbol on it - in a variety of sizes. Then you could get a carrier for the epi-pen that fits in the fanny pack. I strongly recommend a real epi-pen carrier for children because you don't want it breaking when they run into the monkey bars. But, I think the fanny-packs are big enough to fit it in, when it's in a carrier. (Does any of that make sense????)

My son was wearing his epi-belt when we were involved in a minor car accident. If his epi-pen had been in just a pouch, not a proper carrier, I do think the force of him and his booster seat being thrown against the seat belt might have broken the epi-pen right against his stomach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Annamarie, when you say Epi-pen in its' proper carrier, do you mean the plastic sheath that it comes in?
Our fannypack (Dollarama-can I say that?) holds three Epi-pens in their pastic sheaths, both control and resue inhalers, the aerochamber, Benedryl and a medicine measuring spoon; in another pocket it contains her health card, vaccination record, hospital cards, Dr's business cards, list of medicine that caused reactions, dh and my phone numbers, stickers (to keep her busy) and bandaids (why not?); in the smallest pocket- quarters and loonies for telephones, parking, coffee or juice, folding scissors and nailclippers.
If I can get one that has MedicAlert on it I'd go for it. At this time we keep it in her backpack (was the diaper bag). I'd like to keep the fannypack and aso use the Epi-pen belt so that she aways had on on her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:12 pm 

The little plastic case the epi-pen comes in offers no support at all. It's very flimsy.

Here's a link to medic-alerts *merchandise* page.

http://www.medicalert.ca/en/products/merchandise.asp

If you click on *travel* there is a fanny pack available.

If you click on *medical* there are a few carriers for epi-pens. I purchased the single auto-injector belt. But, my son doesn't need to carry an inhaler or anything. I place one chewable benedryl in the end of the belt.

I previously checked zoni's web-site. (They make the e-belt) and the case can withstand an outside force of up to 1000 lbs.

I'm not sure who makes the Protectube (on the same page as the belt). I'm pretty sure it's as strong as the zoni belt. It would be more appropriate for a child wearing a fanny pack - and it should fit. If you call medic-alert they should be able to tell you whether everything you want will fit in the fanny pack (and whether or not it will fit around a child's waste - I thought they used to have one specific for kids).

Also wanted to mention - if there is not a reason she actually needs the fold up scissors and nail clippers you might want to take them out. In a school that is considered a weapon. (Side-note; it's also considered a weapon at Canada's Wonderland. Security guards took my fold up scissors off me. :oops: )