* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: test for insect stings?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 am 

Can allergists test for insect bites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:06 am 

Here's a previous discussion about wasp stings...apparently from this discussion it seems like allergists can (but age might be a factor).
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ght=insect
Perhaps someone else can elaborate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:10 pm 

Yes, they can:

From the AAAAI's Tips to Remember: Stinging insect allergy:

Quote:
Consulting your allergist
Anyone who has had a serious adverse reaction to an insect sting should be evaluated by an allergist/immunologist, who will take a thorough history, perform an examination and recommend testing to determine whether you have an allergy, and which type of stinging insect caused the reaction. Skin or blood (RAST) testing for insect allergy is used to detect the presence of significant amounts of IgE antibody.

Your allergist/immunologist will help you determine the best form of treatment. People who have severe allergies to insect venom should consider receiving insect venom immunotherapy, a highly effective vaccination program that actually prevents future allergic sting reactions in 97% of treated patients. During immunotherapy, the allergist/immunologist administers gradually stronger doses of venom extract initially every week, but as maintenance doses are reached the interval may sometimes be expanded to one month or more.

If you have questions about venom immunotherapy or other treatments for stinging insect allergy, be sure to ask your allergist/immunologist. Patients who receive appropriate treat­ment such as immunotherapy and who practice careful avoidance

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am 

When my son ( 8 at the time) went for allergy testing the doctor would not do the test for insects. He said he was to young for the shots. I never thought to ask what age they can start getting them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:37 am 

AM, could your son not still have the testing done, so that you know which insect(s) he's allergic to, regardless of his being too young to start the shots or was he too young for the testing as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:37 am 

He's not to young for the testing. He got food and environmental tests done. (All negative -- yahoo!).

The doctor said since every test is an exposure, he did not want to take the (minor) risk of exposure when there was no benefit to it. With a food allergy, you can say "I am allergic to eggs and now have to stay away from eggs" and continue eating other foods. With an insect allergy, how do you stay away from just that one insect without attempting to stay away from them all? And also, a negative could just mean it's his first exposure to that particular insect (often first exposure gives a false negative). And, by the time he's old enough for insect shots, he might have developed more allergies.

Of course, everyone has to make their own decisions based on the information they get from their doctors. But, based on the conversation with the allergist, I didn't push for the test at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:43 pm 

Good to know...you make some very good points about waiting. We received similar advice from our allergist regarding testing my son for tree nuts -- we were keeping him away from all tree nuts anyway due to his peanut allergy, so no point in putting him through additional testing at 2 yrs. when it really wasn't going to affect how we lived our lives.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:25 pm 

I'm sorry but the thought of receiving minute doses of insect venom makes me itch!
I have insect allergies to blackflies (yes Canada) and fire ants. If I get just one of either I can end up in the ER and given steroids. :(
I spend a lot of time avoiding these little creatures at all costs. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 pm 

I imagine it must be hard to contemplate, but for a number of years now I've been hearing from allergists about how effective the immunotherapy is, so it definitely might be worth investigating, those of you who haven't yet (I mean adults).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:23 am 

Please post some feedback if you should decide to do it. Around here the allergists don't seem too positive over it. I'm too old to start that anyways. :P