You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:23 pm 

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share an irritating experience that I expect others have been through as well.

The other day we ordered Swiss Chalet delivery (one of few places I eat at) and when the delivery man showed up, he asked my boyfriend "who had all the allergies that were listed on the bill". My boyfriend said I did, and when I heard I was being talked about I came around the corner. The man starts giving me a lecture on how I need to take care of myself, how I need to start a daily regime of using hot tubs and saunas, going back and forth between them for an hour at a time, etc., taking vitamins. I got really mad but remained polite, and brought out my epi-pens and explained that it was a life-threatening condition, that I carried needles, and if it were as simple as hot tubs and saunas I would have done that LONG ago.

I just really resented these comments. First, the implication was that there was something I could do, and therefore I wasn't doing it, and not taking care of myself. I am very healthy despite my limitations, thankyouverymuch! And who did this man think he was? It also concerned me because even though he isn't in food prep, I don't like anyone working for a restaurant thinking allergies are no big deal.

Has anyone else been given ridiculous, unasked for advice like this? Grr! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:27 pm 

While the advise may be unexpected, and there may be no way to fix your allergies...but if there was some information out there (and there is) in regards to how certain vitamins and minerals work to help heal allergic conditions (either fix or just improve symptoms)...wouldn't you WANT to know???

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:02 pm 

Oh sure, if it was from somebody who actually had experience with allergies or some formal background in treating them - but hot tubs and saunas to cure anaphlyaxis?!? That's insane. And I suppose part of the tone was upsetting, too - it was like I had the problem and he had the cure - very condescending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:58 pm 

It's hard to know how to deal with people like that. I think I would just politely say "thanks for the advice" and then shut the door in his face... and then call Swiss Chalet and complain! He has no right to express his opinions about your allergies and/or possible "treatments". That's not his job.

I totally empathize with your "grrr".

Not that long ago one of the daycare teachers at my sons' school tried to imply that it was my fault that my kids had peanut and nut allergies, when he asked if I ate peanuts and nuts when I was pregnant. "Oh no you don't..." I said. "Don't go blaming mothers for their kids' allergies. I know women who are anaphylactic to peanuts who have children who are also allergic to peanuts, so obviously it's not because they ate peanuts that their children are allergic!" I said it in a nice sort of teasing tone, but I was pretty serious. I'm not going to let someone tell me it's all my fault when I know ding-dong well it isn't.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:20 am 

His *cure* just might work.

Quote:
a daily regime of using hot tubs and saunas, going back and forth between them for an hour at a time,

That's is just asking for a heart attack. Make it a good one -- your dead -- no more anaphylaxis.

That's what really ticks me off about *self-named* experts giving advice. Quite often the advice is very dangerous.

My response is usually to ask to see their diploma. My doctor has his posted in his office, and I expect anyone giving me medical advice to show me theirs.

Karen, sometimes the comments about diet during pregnancy are more question than insult. Asking because maybe they are or one day will be pregnant and they want to figure out if they should avoid peanuts. If every child they meet with pa was exposed to peanuts in utero, they might decide it's best to not eat them. Even doctors can't decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:02 pm 

Well, yeah, it is rude for a complete stranger to start dishing out suspect medical advice. My reaction would depend on the tone/pushiness of the person. If the person was just passing out info., I'd be okay with it even though it isn't very professional! But if I responded by bringing out my epis and explaining that it was a life threatening condition, and he was kind of pushy . .. well, that is not respecting peoples' boundaries. Definitely grounds for complaint.

I've never had anyone hand out advice quite like that before. I do often have people ask me about why I bring my own food---"on a diet?" "vegetarian?"

I don't get medical advice that often, but once someone I don't know hardly at all once told me that he had gotten allergy shots for wheat allergy years ago (I'm guessing in the 70s) and that they worked. I know that they are researching this type of therapy right now (i.e. in Dr. Burke's study on peanuts) . . .but I've never heard to this sort of therapy being offered before either by mainstream or alternative medicine. (In any case, it doesn't sound very safe at this point in time!)

Last edited by Helen on Thu May 24, 2007 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 pm 

AnnaMarie wrote:
Karen, sometimes the comments about diet during pregnancy are more question than insult. Asking because maybe they are or one day will be pregnant and they want to figure out if they should avoid peanuts. If every child they meet with pa was exposed to peanuts in utero, they might decide it's best to not eat them. Even doctors can't decide.

This was an older male teacher and it was definitely more of a statement than a question... (I should have been clearer).

I do agree that some people might want to really know the risks, and I would be happy to have a conversation about it, but this guy was basically trying to imply that it's the mother's fault.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:47 pm 

I would also lodge a complaint with Swiss Chalet. This man's job is to deliver food, not analyze your personal health. He stepped over the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:50 pm 

Thanks for the stories and support, guys. I think part of my frustration, in a way, was also embarassment - I provided those details about my allergies over the phone so that the food would be safe, I don't think it's right for someone delivering the food to take a look and want to lecture me on it. It was really none of his business and I felt almost violated in a way - I didn't offer that information to him, you know? We're moving out of Edmonton at the end of next month so maybe I'll give them a call then. I may still want to order from them, and you never want to irritate the people cooking your food!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:15 pm 

I don't think the people cooking the food would even hear about it. It's their customer service that should get the call, and basically be asked to tell delivery people to not comment on people's allergies (or other kinds of comments that are on the order) when they deliver it.

If you don't complain, the guy won't know that he overstepped the boundaries. In a way, you will be helping all other allergic people who order from Swiss Chalet. (At least, that's how I look at it when I provide feedback to customer service people.)

K.