You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:31 pm 

Just wanted to send out a sincere THANK YOU to everyone on this forum. I had to give my first Twinject to my little one this week and throughout our terrifying ordeal all that was running through my head were pieces of information from all of you on this forum ( especially you KarenOASG!). As I raced to the hospital I looked back at my daughter and saw her beginning to swell. I remembered reading about Sabrina Shannon not getting the Epi soon enough. Even though we were minutes away from the hospital, I pulled over and administered the epinephrine. Thank You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:38 pm 

What a terrible experience for your family. How is your little girl doing? How are you doing? Take care,
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:59 pm 

I know how scary that was for you -- I had to give my son his Twinject on the way to the hospital last August for the first time too. It is amazing how quickly it works isn't it! I'm so glad that you felt that you had all the info you needed to do what you needed to do in that time of crisis! I hope your daughter is feeling better now and I send a big hug out to you! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Gem- I'm glad you knew what to do and I'm glas you felt you had us there with you. I too find this group to be very supportive.
Do you know the source of her reaction?
I hope your little girl is feeling better. I don't know about you but once our daughter got out of the hospital, I felt like I was in a fog for a couple of weeks.
Be good to yourself.
PS-next time (and I hope there wn't be a next time but...)give the TwinJect before you get in the car. This was a recommendation from our ParaMedics.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:05 am 

My little one is doing well, much better than I am. It is a bit like post traumatic stress, I think.

I don't know the source, which is the scariest part. I was just starting to feel like I had some control over this situation. Now I feel like I have no control and that another reaction could occur at anytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 am 

gem, our situation was very similar. We didn't know what caused our son's reaction either -- it's still a mystery. We were at home at the time. Our only guess was that he came into contact with traces somewhere while we were out (we had been at the grocery store earlier) and his hands transferred the protein to his mouth. It really shook my world up for a bit afterwards - especially because we take all necessary precautions and were at home at the time (our safe zone). After his reaction we implemented some additional precautions, instead of waiting to wash hands whenever a sink/soap was available to us, we began to carry baby wipes with us everywhere we went and wipe our hands as necessary while out. I was really hard on myself about the whole thing at the time too -- In the end, time gave me the perspective to see that I handled the situation as best I could at the time, my husband and I both learned a lot from the experience, and we realized that even when you do your best to protect your little one, when you live with LTA, these things sometimes happen and that's why we carry epinephrine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:47 am 

Next time (and I hope there won't be a next time) call an ambulance.

Glad to hear she is OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:46 am 

We were at home too. We only live less than 5 minutes away from the hospital ( I only have to take residential side streets)and I figured I could get there faster than waiting for an ambulance. It's hard to know. I'm not sure what I would do next time. The ER doctor told me the ambulances were v. busy that day with lots of car accidents. What do you guys recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:12 pm 

Good point about calling 911 AnnaMarie, we learned this one as I sat panicked in the back seat with my son stressing while we stopped at each traffic light!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Always give the EpiPen/Twinject first and then call 911 (I too would be tempted to drive if so close, maybe mention this to the 911 operator?)
If you have the child in a carseat and are trying to give the autoinjector it can take precious time to get her out.
You are not your normal self, you could have an accident and that woud delay even more.
If you are alone with the child and driving, you may not notice things getting worse.
If you even suspect that it's anaphyaxic, give the EpiPen or Twinject immediately, it won't hurt a healthy person, it might help with asthma and it is your ony defense against anaphylaxic reactions.
Most reactions will happen at home as we tend to eat most meals there. You do all that you can but even if our label laws were stricter...there's always a chance of cross contamination.
No EpiPen/Twinject = No eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:02 pm 

gem, living that close to the hospital, I can definitely understand why you would drive. I might chose to do that, IF both my husband and I were there. One person driving, the other in the back seat. In fact we did that once -- not because we were so close, but because we were in the middle of nowhere with no phone and out of cell-phone service area.

Susan had an excellent suggestion of letting the 9-1-1 operator know how close you are so that if all ambulances are out on calls, or if they come from far away, if might be quicker to drive.

But, honestly, I worry about a car accident when a driver is so distracted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:58 pm 

This is great advice Susan. I never thought of a car accident but that could have very easily happened. I now have a better plan for next time ( that will hopefully not occur)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 pm 

Gem, I'm so glad to hear that your little girl is okay. It's very scary, but you handled things very well. And, I agree with you about this group - they've been my lifeline. I've learned so much and have received so much support. Isn't it great that we are all here to help each other out?! Big hugs to you and your daughter!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:16 pm 

Hi Gem -

Sorry that I didn't respond sooner. It's been a loooong week.

I'm so sorry that your daughter had such a bad reaction, but very glad that what you learned here on the forum helped you deal with the crisis so effectively.

I would back up what Susan said about calling 911 (and all the rest) - but also agree that asking the operator to give you a ETA for the paramedics is not a bad idea, given that you live close to the hospital.

We all have to remember that paramedics are not ambulance drivers - they bring a lot of equipment and skills to you and are very well trained to deal with all sorts of emergencies.

I do agree that giving the EpiPen/Twinject as soon as you suspect a reaction is crucial.

It's all about continuous improvement - to coin a term from the days I worked at Nortel! Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is, you'll be even more effective.

Big hugs to you and your munchkin,

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

KarenOASG-
Quote:
It's all about continuous improvement - to coin a term from the days I worked at Nortel! Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is, you'll be even more effective

Yes, any time you go through a tough situation, you emerge a little stronger, a little more confident in your ability to cope.
I carry a pad of paper and a pen for jotting down UPC codes and the few times I've been at the emergency ward with my daughter (mainly asthma) I tend to write down what worked and what didn't. What I need to bring to the hospital and what I don't need to.
Her asthma was so bad in our last home (and we hadn't figured out how best to treat it) that we often went to the hospital. I had a hospital bag fully stocked and always ready.
It contained a book for me, some toys for her, her special blankie, food and juice boxes, wet wipes, slippers and change for the vending machine.