You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:02 pm 

Just wondering if anyone attended the Sabrina's Law Education Night on May 30, 2007 at North York Civic Centre.
Anything worth passing along to those of us who where unable to attend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:59 pm 

I attended the meeting and it was outstanding. Dave Levac was an excellent speaker and provided an interesting point of view, as he has been a teacher, principal and now is in politics. He was able to speak to questions that applied to all of those areas and give each perspective. One key message he reiterated, was that Sabrina's Law is just that - the law and that parents need to remember that when dealing with their schools. There were many tears shed that evening (I wasn't aware I needed to bring my kleenex box!) by speakers and audience members alike. Sabrina Shannon's mother and father spoke and were so brave and strong in the stories they shared. Overall, an A++ night!
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 pm 

Hi Ang,
I so wish I could have attended...
Quote:
What are the key lessons learned from Sabrina's Law and what gaps still need to be closed? How can you work more effectively with your school?

The above quote in the ad about the night got me really intrigued. Did they talk much about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:02 pm 

ethansmom,
There were many questions raised that night by parents and teachers alike...I don't recall them specifically answering those questions, instead just providing ideas or insight (as I had mentioned about Mr. Levac) of how to ie. stay involved in your school, etc...hope that helps.
Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:21 pm 

Where did you people hear about this? Was something supposed to come home from the schools?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:05 pm 

Thanks Ang --
AnnaMarie -- I got an e-mail bulletin from Anaphylaxis Canada (you can sign-up to be on their e-mail mailing list - no membership required). It was also posted on the Medic Alert website: http://www.medicalert.ca/en/news/sabrina.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

AnnaMarie, I could swear that either Karen or I posted this on the forum. But now I'm not seeing it.

If we didn't, my sincere apologies. And I'm stumped as to how I overlooked.
This is exactly the type of info we'd normally be sure to provide here.

It was on AC's homepage but we always try to let the forum-goers know about AC or AAIA events.

It was a great evening, sorry you missed. G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm 

I also attended this evening, and I'm so glad I did. It was very moving to hear Sara Shannon speak, and to receive a copy of a beautiful piece of artwork illustrated by Sabrina Shannon. It was such a tribute to the Shannon family, Dave Levac, and SO many others that worked so diligently to bring Sabrina's Law into existence.

I found Dave Levac's talk to be of real interest because he was first a teacher, and then a principal (before his life in politics). It was interesting to hear his perspective, and what he feels is most effective in dealing with the school. I jotted down a few brief notes during his talk (I wish his talk was in print so I could refer to it, because I did find it very interesting and helpful). I will share a little bit from my notes: Dave Levac mentioned that the best way to "win over" the staff within the school is to "be the helpful solution - be part of the solution. Partnerships are part of the solution". What he is saying, is to be involved and offer help and suggestions in bringing about the best and safest environment for your child. He said that you need to take the time to educate your childs teacher, and diplomacy works well when dealing with the principal.

Laurie Harada's talk was also very good. Laurie Harada is the Executive Director of Anaphylaxis Canada. Briefly, her points for being the best possible advocate for your child attending school are as follows: (I hope it's okay that I share these - they are taken directly from her Power Point presentation)
1. Keep things in perspective.
2. Teach your child to advocate.
3. Be polite
Laurie said that it's important to watch what we say - making alarmist statements (for example "A peanut butter sandwich is like a loaded gun to my child") will not bring about the most effective line of communication with the school. It gets a reaction, but is not an effective long-term method of communicating and advocating for your child. We need to be reasonable in terms of what we ask for. Laurie also suggested that we do not demonize the food - we have to remember that the majority of people CAN eat peanuts, tree nuts, milk and other foods. Laurie said we need to teach our child to advocate. Good habits start young. Teach your child to follow rules (auto-injector, read labels, wear MedicAlert). Tell others about his/her allergy/ teach friends when and how to use the auto-injector. We need to remember that we cannot always be there for them (our children). They want to do things for themselves. And lastly, we need to be polite. We need to watch our words and body language. And, "Thank you" goes a long way in getting support. You can thank your school community in school newsletters, donation of resources, gifts for the staff (coffee, gift certificates, notes/drawings.). Also, you can have your child say thank you.

I hope this helps. It truly was a remarkable evening (and I also forgot to bring my kleenex)...

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 am 

Julie, thanks for taking the time to share that. It's very helpful. Those are some very insightful words. :)