You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Anxiety hits
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 am 

My son is off on a school field trip today. It's outdoor, and what i consider an high risk for his allergy. (He's allergic to insects and he's at the zoo.) I have not been stressed at all about him going. I did remind the teacher that he has to be with an adult that know when/how/why to use his epi-pen. Really, no big deal to me.

Then.....the phone rings. I look at the number and see it's the first three digits of the school. Apparently -- that's also the same first three digits as the library, and we have an over-due book.

So, now, as I attempt to slow my heart down, I think I'll go make a coffee.

Do parents of kids that don't have allergies or some other life-threatening disease/illness -- do those parents have to restart their hearts every time the school phones? And is all this stopping and starting of my heart making it stronger or weaker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:44 pm 

Oh boy, do we know how you feel! My poor husband...

Last week our peanut-allergic daughter Cayley was away from Wednesday until Friday at a camp with her class - a camp on an island only accessible by boat, at that (aren't we brave, letting her go?). I'd forgotten to inform my husband that Cayley had an appointment at an asthma clinic on the following Monday, so on Friday morning - her last camp day - the phone rings...

Husband, "Hello?"

Hospital, "Hello, are you Cayley's father?"

Husband, "Yes?"

Hospital "This is the hospital calling..."

(At this point poor husband nearly has a heart attack, but manages to refrain from yelling, "WHAT??")

Hospital, "...to remind you about Cayley's asthma clinic appointment on Monday. See you then!"

Husband reports it took a good 10 minutes before his heart slowed down, and we choose to believe that kind of workout is good, not bad, for the heart.

Carolyn
:wink:

Post subject: Anxiety hits
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:48 pm 

Oh - we've been there too - especially as we have had day care call with a "she's coughing and uncomfortable and covered in hives and saying her stomach hurts..."...
It is at the point that when my husband and I call each other on our mobiles (we don't have call display on either) we start not with hello but "every thing's OK..."

Deep breaths and a short thankful prayer that for the moment all is well...

Last edited by renie on Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:47 am 

Last year it got to the point when the school phoned me their first words were "He's OK".

I had received a phone call from the secretary and she was rambling incoherently. All I clearly heard was "principal.....come right away......bite". After that, I couldn't hear anything -- blood rushing through my ears. I kept saying "Is he OK?????" and she kept rambling. Finally I yelled "DID YOU CALL AN AMBULANCE YET". A moment of silence followed by "it's not that serious". Apparently my son had gotten into an altercation with some older students. They were grabbing him by the arms and pulling him in opposite directions so he did the only thing he could think to do -- he tried to bite them. :oops:

After dealing with the situation with the principal (in which case only my son was in trouble :x ) I then discussed the phone call I had received, and how panic stricken I had been. They've been careful since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:17 pm 

My son's school secretary always calls me like this "Aaron's okay, I just wanted to talk to you about this......". She's given him the epipen 2x, so she knows how scary it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 pm 

Panic set in today in an underground garage. I went to get my daughter out of her car seat and thought her legs were covered in hives. It was only the shadows of the raindrops on the car window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:13 pm 

I'm forever scrutinising - is that just a red mark, or a hive? Are her eyes puffy? Is it allergy or just tired? Does she look pale?

Always on the look out, being hyper-vigilant... it's exhausting. At times I think the universe gives us the brief rain-drop shadow moments in an attempt to be funny, or to remind us to look at things with different eyes. At the moment, I haven't figured how to take of my "life with allergies" glasses. Not sure I would trade them in for rose coloured ones but a break now and then would be delightful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:30 pm 

Renie, on an evening when I didn't think it was even possible to smile, you actually made me laugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:30 pm 

Thank G-d for humour!