Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:39 pm 

From Anaphylaxis Canada's electronic newsletter:

Heads Up about Scene from Nancy Drew Movie

We received a report from the mother of two peanut-allergic children, who advised that the new Nancy Drew movie has a scene which may be very disturbing for children at risk of anaphylaxis. Apparently, the heroine, Nancy, saves a teen girl suffering a severe allergic reaction to peanuts by giving her a tracheotomy, using a knife and a pen. A tracheotomy is a surgical procedure in which a cut or opening is made in the windpipe (trachea). A tube is inserted into the opening to allow air to get to the lungs. This is performed by a doctor as a last-resort procedure if a patient's windpipe is obstructed and the situation is life-threatening. An epinephrine auto-injector, the first line treatment for anaphylaxis, is not referenced in the scene. While Anaphylaxis Canada staff has not yet seen the movie, we agree that parents may wish to pre-screen the movie before taking their children or use the scene as the basis for discussion with their children following the movie (i.e. the scene is a Hollywood dramatization and is not a typical scenario in real life situations).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:52 pm 

I forwarded the message on to my support group at the request of one of my members. This is what I said:

----------

Hi OASG members –

An OASG member alerted me to the description in the Anaphylaxis Canada news bulletin regarding the Nancy Drew movie that has just come out. Read below for the details. [pointing them to the AC info that Storm posted]

My two sons are a bit young for this movie, but I guess if they ever did see it, I would use it as a teaching opportunity to discuss how movies and TV sometimes over-dramatize things in order to make the story more interesting, and how that is not the best way or the most usual way to treat anaphylaxis. The best way to treat anaphylaxis is to always have an EpiPen or Twinject handy, and to not hesitate to use it.

----------

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:42 am 

Here is a comment from FAAN about the movie as well:

New Movie Nancy Drew Could Scare Kids Who Have Food Allergies

At the end they provide an address if you want to write to the movie studio:

Quote:
You can let Warner Bros. know how you feel by writing to:

Warner Bros.
Theatrical Corporate Communications
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522
USA

And on another forum that I belong to, a member suggested writing to the people who write the screenplays and the directors (which is really quite a good idea):

- Writers Guild of America: http://www.wga.org/

- Directors Guild of America: http://www.dga.org/index2.php3?chg=

K.