You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Expired epipens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:15 pm 

Just wondering what to do with expired epipens...I heard some people use them as trainers, but I already have a trainer...how do you dispose of them?
Ang

Post subject: returning epi's
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:22 pm 

I buy my epi's at Loblaws Pharmacy and I return the epis to them to dispose of. Some pharmacies charge a fee to return them but Loblaws does not. Hope that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:06 pm 

I was told to take them to a doctors office or to a hospital for disposal.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:18 pm 

Any pharmacy should take them for safe disposal along with any expired/unused prescriptions. We also have a trainer but use these at times as it feels different than the trainer (our opinion). My DH and I stress test each other without notice - this is to ensure we always know where the "medical pack" is and have practice responding (this is when our 3-1/2 year old is not around). We then use the expired ones into fruit, like oranges we forgot to eat. We DO NOT store the expired ones with the good ones but whoever is testing brings one to the unexpected test

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:04 pm 

Good idea about the stress test Renie.

We also discharge them into oranges for practice. They definitely feel different than the trainers, and extra familiarity never hurts.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:10 am 

The stress test was a suggestion from our family doc to manage my anxiety and it does help me. It can happen anywhere, any time - just like the real thing. For us, it has helped to have our responses become more automatic. After all, people practice fire drills and evacuation procedures, why not ana reactions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:12 pm 

If you have any expired Epipens/Twinjets, could you mail them to me?

I do workshops and I always need more. If you private message me, I will give you my mailing address.

If you want to use them yourself to see what it is like, I find using an upside-down paper cup better than an orange. if you use that, you really get a sense of how lilltle force is needed to activate the needle mechanism (you just need to press, not "jab"), and you will get to see how little medicine comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:06 pm 

Check with Canada Post before mailing any medications. I think it might be against the law -- if it is OK to mail them, make sure they are securely packaged so nobody accidentally gets injected.

Regarding disposal -- I've never had a pharmacy refuse to dispose of them for me for free. I alway tell them whether it has been *used* or not. So they know whether or not the needle is exposed. It's much safer with the new epi-pen cases they come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 pm 

On re-reading epi packaging/administration info, I also recently learned that you should bend the needle back for used ones, by bending it against a strong surface. Makes sense... Guess I have always been more concerned about administration vs. disposal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:51 pm 

Pamela Lee wrote:
If you have any expired Epipens/Twinjets, could you mail them to me?

Pam - have you considered contacting a local pharmacy for expired ones? A member of my local group did that for a meeting a few months ago. They were happy to give her a bunch. I was a bit surprised that they did that... but they did it!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:38 am 

Thanks Karen, I'll do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:36 am 

renie wrote:
On re-reading epi packaging/administration info, I also recently learned that you should bend the needle back for used ones, by bending it against a strong surface. ...

With the new container the epi-pens come in that is not necessary -- if you keep it in the original package. The new ones are a bit longer, and have something soft in the bottom that the pen sticks into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:56 pm 

Thanks for updating me AnnaMarie! Can you tell my DH does garbage duty? I am not sure what he has done with our old ones. I love the newer cases (hard green for Epi Jr) - the old ones were so flimsy...

Good tip too Karen about scooping expired ones from the pharmacy - I am sure that most people's regular pharmacist would oblige. I feel more stress tests coming on in our house and perhaps being imposed on the grandparents too