You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:16 pm 

I am feeling so relieved today. I had posted last month about my son having hives for three days after eating peanut butter. We had his scratch tests today, and they were negative, for peanuts, bananas and grass, the three things we thought could have caused the hives.

However, the allergist wants him to have an epipen, since we don't know what caused this, and is thinking about the possibility of exercise-induced anaphylaxis. My son had no swelling around mouth or face, no trouble breathing, strictly skin reaction. Does this seem like overkill, or has anyone heard of this before?

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 pm 

I have friends who have epi prescriptions for their kids who have only ever had hives as well. In some cases, skin prick were "inconclusive" or negative. Those who are suspected of being nut/peanut are told to treat as potential ana cases (as parent to a sesame/dairy/egg ana child, I never get why I only hear this about nuts/peanuts?).

Sure hives can be viral, or due to "minor" allergies but I am "assuming" (never a good thing to do) that the doc made the recommendation in the context of family history and your child's own medical history/risk.

When it comes to safety, I don't think it's overkill, in particular when you aren't sure what the allergen is yet, so how can you possibly follow an avoidance strategy?

Good luck and I hope that the hives are purely nothing...

(have you considered bloodwork?)