You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Depression and Alleriges
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:46 am 

Forgive me for again assulting mind with what I feel lilke is MY problem. I have no one else to talk to and I feel like I am drowning. My husband feels very helpless at the moment and I think my kids do to. My older kids watch everything I put in my mouth and stare at me after I am done eating to make sure I am ok. I haven't eaten anything in the past four days besides salad that I haven't had a reaction to. I am so depressed I am crying as I type this. I just don't know what to do anymore. The allergist I saw I on friday was no help what so ever. I am seeing on Wed that a friend who has allergies recmened to me Sunday. The one on Friday told me that he couldn't do this that and the other because I was reacting and then didn't gie me any plan of action and for most part said he couldn't help me :roll:. So that was a waste of 40 dollars.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Admin

First - don't ever worry about bothering us - that's why we're here! Second, a hug and a piece of advice from one who has been in similar situations: take a breath, and take it one "meal" at a time.

You may not really be "allergic" to as much as you think. I don't often talk about this on this forum - because it is confusing to understand and I don't want to concern parents of allergic kids unduly. But after a significant reaction, I am what I call "reacty" - that is to say, I start having allergic-like symptoms to foods that I'm not even really allergic to. My allergist told me that it has to with my immune system being in overdrive. His advice was this (and maybe it will help you too):

- Take yourself back to very, very plain foods.
- He had me start with a plain, grilled chicken breast, no spice, with white rice.
- OK on that for a couple of days? Then add a spice, maybe one vegetable.
- It was just a pattern of eating really, really plain food and building up slowly. At the same time, my immune system was settling down, so the foods were getting easier and easier to take.
- This also brought down my stress levels about food, and I stopped dreading every meal. Things literally looked up in the space of a couple of weeks.

I'm dashing but will try to check in with more info for you later. Did you read the Fear of Food article in Allergic Living's Spring 07 magazine? (I believe we have at least an excerpt of it in the archive, which you can click on from the home page.)

You can see that you're not alone in going through this. Lots of us know exactly what you're talking about. So breathe, and hang in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:46 am 
Site Admin

One quick thing - when you see the allergist on Wed., ask if you should be on an antihistamine daily for a while.

My allergist had me take Reactine (it's called something else in the U.S.) for several days until my system settled down. I wouldn't advise it, as I'm no allergist and because it will depend on your symptoms and how severe they are. But it is something to ask the allergist about.

The key is - get yourself under control, then you can start to test and to get to the bottom of the issues you're having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:20 pm 

I went through a similar situation as well. I was reacting to everything and yet, I knew it was not all real allergies. Unfortunately, the allergist I saw didn't help me at all. I did basically what Gwen described -- it was advice I received on an allergy web-site forum.

When I developed my food allergies, I also started reacting to cats and dogs. After spending time on a very bland diet, the foods all settled down and I was able to pinpoint the two allergens. But, for some reason I continued to react to cats and dogs for more then 10 years. Once I moved out of the apartment and into a house, I immediately stopped reacting to animals. (That's not really important -- just weird.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:04 am 

What a roller coaster of emotions it can be to have allergies but know you are not alone. I did read the article about food allergies and fear of food, I thought it was great and it sure made me not feel alone with these same thoughts. (I made my husband read it, as even after 25 years together i still feel I have to tell him how it feels to be allergic) I have yet to figure out my own allergy issues that I am dealing with right now but I just wonder if what many of us need is a dietitian that specializes in allergies. (Is there such a person?) We all seem to leave the Dr. with said allergies and are thrust into a nutty, fishy.....world and not enough information eg: different names of allergy items. Where does one turn ton these situations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:34 am 

It can be a rollercoaster for sure! I've been to a dietician several times---in Ontario if you get referred by a doctor who has an office in the same hospital as the dietician the consultation is free (or, er, paid for by the taxpayer.)

The last time I went due to a celiac diagnosis, the dietician felt that I ought to go to someone who specializes in allergies . . . there was only one person she recommended in my area (at the time I was living in Toronto!) I didn't go, though, because of the cost and because I really do think that I've researched everything well enough myself---as long as I'm getting enough nutrients, I am fine.

I found going to a dietician to be very helpful . . . and not just for allergies! I made some dietary changes that I've stuck with and learned more about nutrition.

I totally agree that there should be more support for people with allergies. I was very impressed with the info. that my dietician had for dealing with celiac disease---she had this booklet which explains the medical issues, how to avoid cross contamination in the kitchen, and gave lots of examples of gluten-free meals. Plus she gave me some references to some helpful books. It has been helpful to have some official *detailed* info. on how to live with wheat-eating people. Seeing official, written info. helps others to understand.

We really need a similar standard program for people with allergies.

There are good organizations, though---Anaphylaxis Canada provides lots of useful info. You might look them up and take a look at their allergen cards (they have all the different names for various allergens.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:57 pm 

I have not personally had a lot of success with dietitians. I was actually very disappointed with our local children's hospital (I was told to put lots of butter on my older son's food to "fatten him up"... and that was about all I remember). When I called private dietitians (from a list that I got from a friend who works with Public Health), all but one of the ones who said they specialized in allergies told me that they didn't think they could help me (once I told them the list of foods my youngest had to avoid). I was really angry about that - why say you specialize in allergies if you don't feel you are up to helping people with allergies???!!!

The AQAA has been training dietitians, which is awesome, but they are only in Quebec right now.

It takes a lot of energy to find a good dietitian with regards to allergies... or at least that has been my experience. Maybe contact the public health dept. in your city as a starting point, and see if they have a list of people. And they try some of them out and see if there is someone with a clue. Maybe things have changed - it's been a few years since my frustrating experiences

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:22 am 

Here is a link to a dietician I have heard really good things about. I was told that one of her children has anaphylaxis. She lives in Kamloops, but she has written many books, articles, etc. that may be useful.

http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_author.html

or just google Janice Joneja

I do not know her, so it is just heresay, but I have heard good things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Here is a link to a terrific article about Stress City. It speaks mainly from the eprspective of a parent whose child has life threatening allergies, but I think you may find it helpful.
http://www.foodallergyinitiative.org/se ... icle_id=55

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb