You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 pm 

Quote:
New research is suggesting a there is possibly a link between allergic conditions such as asthma and hay fever and irregular periods.

In a survey of more than 8,500 wome, aged 25-42, a Norwegian team has found that rates of asthma and allergy were far higher in women who had irregular rather than regular periods.

The Thorax study points to metabolic problems, such as insulin resistance, as an underlying cause for both.

The team say their findings add further evidence to the argument that female hormones might play a role in allergic diseases.

The possibility that the trend might have been down to the allergy medication the women were using was discounted as the irregularity was also seen among women whose symptoms were not being treated.

Dr Cecilie Svanes and colleagues from the Haukeland Hospital in Bergen, Norway, in their study questioned the women about their respiratory health and menstrual cycles between 1999 and 2001.

Full story here.

I find that really interesting. I have mild asthma, and my periods answer to no clock I've been able to figure out!