You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Surviving Pregnancy
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:31 pm 

I know that there are many women who have "survived" pregnancy while living with allergies (including anaphylaxis).
So, I am wondering if anyone has some survival strategies for me...or is my fear simply an unfounded anxiety? :?
My husband and I are considering starting our family but the thought of having a reaction when I am pregnant is really scary. Are there really any "safe" medications? Could I miscarry as a result of a reaction?
I already take precautions such as preparing almost all of my own food from scratch but I figure there is still always a risk. I have also heard that some women become more sensitive to allergens when pregnant or can develop new allergies.
I look forward to hearing your stories!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:53 am 

Hi tweetybird.

I have adult on-set allergies to peanuts and sesame seeds. I had two children before all this started - and now I have three. :)

When we started discussing having another baby, I called MotherRisk. It is a free service at Toronto's Sick Children's Hospital. You can talk to RN's and if necessary, they consult with doctor's.

At that time, I was taking antihistamine daily. (I think it was attarax, but I'm not positive.) They were to avoid reactions. When I did actually have a reaction I would take benedryl.

MotherRisk said that the two drugs I was taking were *drug of choice* during pregnancy. They would not actually say they were *safe*, but they said they were not believed to cause any problems. (Obviously, no drugs is always safest during pregnancy, but sometimes that's just not possible.)

I also asked about the epi-pen. When I had epinephrine it caused my body to shake. I refer to it as my Linda Blair impression. :roll: While talking to the nurse, I said I guess I can't take that, because it would be to violent a reaction for an unborn baby. And her response was "you'd think so wouldn't you". But, as she said - if the mother dies from anaphylactic shock she's taking the baby with her. As for the violent shaking - the baby is floating in a bag of water so he/she is not really at risk of banging into anything.

I'm not sure if epi goes through to the baby, but again, she felt it was not a severe risk.

When I got pregnant and went to my OB I told him what meds I was taking and he asked if I had called MotherRisk. If they OK'd it, he was fine with it.

I'm not sure if there is anything similar to MotherRisk in your area - if not, check with your OB/GYN as to what antihistamines would be safer. I would suggest doing this before getting pregnant.

Personally, I found that I had less allergy problems while pregnant. I'm not sure if that's because I was overall healthier (pregnancy definitely agrees with me) or if I was just a lot more careful while pregnant.

The biggest problem I had was when I spoke to the dietician at the hospital prior to the birth. She just didn't seem to *get it*. Finally, we agreed it was best if I just bring in all my own food. Avoiding the allergens wasn't to difficult, but when we got to discussing the *trace amounts* she just had no idea how many things could be affected.

Good-luck to you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:44 pm 

Thank you so much Anne Marie. This is quite reassuring. I will look to see if we have MotherRisk out here or something similar.
I also spoke to my GP about the same concerns you mentioned (bendryl, claritin, epi-pen) and he was relatively unconcerned with the possbile effects on the fetus saying it was minimal.

As for food at the hospital, I will definitely be bringing my own!!