Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hot Dog Buns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:16 pm 

Hello There,

I just joined and I am in the same boat as many people. My son has a peanut and sesame seed allergy and loves Hot Dogs (not as his only food choice). For the longest time, we would give him the hot dogs either plain or in bread and I used to hate the fact that he couldn't enjoy a proper hot dog (the bread broke apart with the ketchup, mustard and relish).

I did some searching and found a recipe for hot dog and hamburger buns using a breadmaker to create the dough:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/breadm ... 10512a.htm

(the buns were fairly heavy but I found that by using only 3 cups of flour, the buns tasted pretty good).

I have used this recipe many times for the buns as well as bread sticks, bagles, etc. and my entire family loves it. In fact, I made these buns for a group of friends and they really enjoyed them as well - their kids game me the ultimate compliment by asking me for some buns to take home.

You can make these a day or two before and stored in a ziploc bag as well and they'll keep.

I know that this may be a little late for you AnnaMarie, but it may help other people.

We all have to stick together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:19 pm 

saskmommy, now I'm feeling even meaner. Because you made me laugh. :oops: I really am sorry you ended up feeling sick from eating meat, and yet, I still couldn't help laughing. :oops:

hsdewan, it's never to late to share a recipe with me. :D I've printed it off, and depending on the hours I'm babysitting, I'm hoping to give it a try tomorrow. We often freeze our home-made breads, so if these get frozen I'll let you know if they are OK when thawed. Thanks for the recipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:57 pm 

Guess what! He also likes chicken.

My husband did buy some hot dogs, and i made some rather short fat hot dog buns. But, he didn't really want to cook them because then all the kids would want them and he was trying to keep things easy to manage. (Bit late when you invite that many people for a b-b-q. :wink: ) Kid never asked for a dog.

He really liked the chicken, and asked his mom if we bought it or made it. His sister (teen) also said the chicken was terrific. I told them it was from M&M. They are going to buy some this week. :D

Oh ya! The buns were a great success. I think I baked about 100! Possibly a bit to many -- especially since the potato salad was made with 15 lbs. of potatoes. :shock:

So, everyone took home a bag of buns (they had already been frozen once, so I didn't want to re-freeze). And those that live close enough, also got some chicken and potato salad.

Now, I'm really tired. (We have no little yawning emoticon. :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Glad to hear it was a success!
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:07 pm 

AnnaMarie, I'm sorry to be posting so late on this... glad to hear your bbq was a success (despite having a very fussy guest!)

So, about the hot dog bun issue... we're in the same boat as you, and sometimes I just don't feel like making buns AGAIN (especially for a big group!!) Sort of by accident (desperation) I decided to try tortillas for the hot dog "bun", and they worked out pretty well. I haven't served them to guests like this... just our little family. Because we're accustomed to "adapting", we enjoyed having a hot dog on a tortilla. Hey, we can't afford to be too fussy. The other "bun" I've used for hotdogs is the Dempsters sandwich pouch. Of course these are both free of sesame!

Isn't it funny how having a hot dog is supposed to be SO easy?!! Well, it's certainly not an easy meal for those of us with a sesame allergy - I guess that's not such a bad thing since they're not good for us anyway, right? :wink:

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses