You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 pm 

I am allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, all vegies besides leafy greens, cucumber and peppers, all fruits besides cranberries and pineapple and lemon. I also have developed physical allergies including cold and pressure.

So no tomatos and apples (which are worst), no carrots, no peaches etc.

FUN! :P Developed this at 21...now 22. Thankfully.

My question is does anyone know of a "safe" supplement for ppl with fruit, nut and vegie allergies? I would like to get pregnant one day in the distant future and keep my body in a decent enough shape as to prevent other health problems. I am not sure what supplements I could take.
So many at the health food stores carry pills/concetrated forms of fruits/vegies.

Also does anyone know of a Canadian nurtitionist who works with persons with allergies? I was informed I am too old and too young to be given one by a hospital. (Not and infant and not a senior). I have a feeling these allergies aren't going to go away any time soon and feel ready enough to deal with this next step in trying to take care of myself which is compensating for these allergies.

I had a horrible week with my allergies. There are soo many it's like REALLY how do I know what is a new allergy or I have just been exposed to to one of the many? The United Way has been having Pizza Pizza Day's in the TTC in Toronto where I go to school and I have to hold my breath and run on and off my train as I swell from the scent of tomatos.

Anyhow, supplements. If anyone has any knowledge of where I can find some or a nutritionist to speak to please let me know.

Keep strong to everyone out there...it's a bumpy ride but we'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:47 pm 
Site Admin

In Ontario and British Columbia there is a publicly funded service for residents of that province that offers free telephone access to Registered Dietitians (RD) Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

In Ontario call toll free 1-877-510-5102
In Greater Vancouver call 604-732-9191
In British Columbia call toll free 1-800-667-3438

http://www.dietitians.ca/public/content ... titian.asp

Quote:
The letters "RD" (Registered Dietitian) after a person's name means that the person is registered with the College of Dietitians of Ontario. In Ontario, Registered Dietitians are highly educated in the sciences related to foods and human nutrition and they are trained to apply their knowledge in a variety of settings. Registered Dietitians are required to continue their professional development to remain current and expand the competencies needed for delivering safe, ethical, and high quality dietetics services. They have met all the requirements established by the College to determine competence to practice.

Registered Dietitians are the only nutrition experts held accountable by law for providing quality nutrition services. They provide nutrition care you can trust.

http://www.regulatedhealthprofessions.o ... titian.htm

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:41 pm 

Hi,

I don't have the same allergies as you, so I'm not sure about whether my vitamins are safe for people with fruit and veggie allergies, but I take:

http://www.webbernaturals.com/product_l ... &mode=Find

you could contact the company---I've called them before and they are pretty good with giving allergy info. They are safe for people with a nut allergy at any rate. I know they contain soy (vitamin E) and corn-derived vitamins . . . but even though I'm allergic to both corn and soy, I don't react to the small amounts in these vitamins.

Send me a PM if you'd like advice re: a dietician.