You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:41 am 

Hi Everyone

I have recently developed an allergic reaction to macrobid the doctors think. I was admitted to hospital almost 3 weeks ago. I finally went when my lips and eyes started to
swell. During that week I think I reacted possibly to 2 other drugs. I am having allergy testing done at the end of the summer.

I have had allergies environmental and animals etc. since I was a child.

I am currently taking another antibiotic that I think I am having a milder allergic reaction to.
It is not a good feeling go through an allergic reaction.

Any comments appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:47 am 
Site Admin

My daughter was given Cefzil for ear infections at 12-15 months and woke from a nap with her entire back one big red angry welt! I gave her benedryl and called the Dr. We saw him 6 hours later and he was disappointed that the rash had gone as he wanted to see it. (I was much more inexperienced then) I asked him if he really wanted me to give her another dose or coud he just take my word for it! :roll: Knowing what I know now, I'd have taken her to the hospital as that is such a large area covered in hives that she was at risk of going into shock.
She was given the diagnosis of penecillin allergic but I'm pretty sure that I saw somewhere that Cefzil contains milk (don't quote me on this) and she is allergic to milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:42 am 

Hi, two of my kids are allergic to penicillin (one is a mold allergy) and one of them is also allergic to sulfa-based antibiotics.

I wanted to point out that, like Susan said, there is often food in medicines. If you have any food allergies it is worth checking with the manufacturer to find out if your allergen is in the medicine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:28 am 

I'm allergic to Tetracycline (or however you spell it). At least, it was no life threatening but I ended up in the hospital, feeling totally disoriented and untable to stand for 3 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:06 pm 

I also have drug allergies as does my Husband and our other relatives. I know that I could have penicillin for years and then one time I had a really bad headache and swollen tonque from it. When this happened in 1980's the Dr had me wait a week before I she game me a new antibodictic. I also have sulfa drug allergy as does my Husband, we both got rashes. I have a newer one from three years ago claritromycin another antiboditic family. This was a really bad headache, throughing up, almost went unconcious. I had to crawl to bathroom to throw up and in the dark the light hurt my head so badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:34 pm 

My son was 3 months old when he developed an allergy to penicillin. He had hives all over his body. Then whan he was 4 years old, he had a reaction to Biaxin , again with hives all over his body. It is very frightening for me when he gets really sick,because I am scared to give him any antibiotics now. He is also allergic to citrus, peanuts, and tree nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:15 pm 

I can't take Ceftin, as it contains hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is likely made from soy. Despite claims that it's impossible to react to hydrogenated soybean oil, I do react to it.

I'm allergic to most strains of penicillium. While it's primarily a problem with cheeses (bleu, brie, camembert, etc), my doctors don't want to risk giving me penicillin-related antibiotics. I'd rather not see the outcome, either.

ygg