Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Well said Helen - I shouldn't have been careless about such wording, and certainly didn't mean to imply those who are called disabled are "sickly" either.

More that the term itself has developed a stigma (not one that's necessarily fair).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:39 pm 

Gwen, I think we agree----I do see how applying the label is problematic because the label has negative connotations . . . which isn't to say that the label ought to have negative connotations.

Momofhalfadozen,

That would be a very difficult situation---is your daughter absolutely not able to live in an apartment?

I'm pretty sure that in universities at least in Canada, allergies (and asthma) are considered disabilities. It is definitely a good idea for students who require accomodation to get a dr's note and meet with a disabilities counsellor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:17 pm 

If my daughter was siting on the sofa and a person an apartment over cooked pia or lasagna if there were any openings between apt. air ducts and what not she would have trouble breathing and if she got enough of it say a few people where cooking milk products it would send her to the hospital. Example... Our dining room window is ear our Computer. A car length away is the back porch of the neighbors house and it is off the kitchen. She was cooking lasagna. We had to shut the windows on that side of the house. She was having trouble breathing. :shock: I worry about her being able to get a job. Even in it was in an office building she would have to go home or to the hospital if a co- worker heated up something with milk. :roll: I homeschool so I don't have to deal with schools but honestly don't think she could go. :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:41 am 

I've been meaning to respond to this for a while.

I do not think of my son as sickly. In fact I think he's healthier than the rest of us because he doesn't eat alot of processed foods. I know as a family we eat healthier since he was diagnosed. He doesn't get any more colds or other illnesses than my other boys, who are helathy for 3 and 5 year olds.

I think allergies are more of a challenge than an illness.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Momofhalfadozen,

After 3 of us went to the same university, my mother joked that it would have been cheaper to have bought a house in that town that to have put us all through in the residence.

If she had her own house, she could rent rooms to those who understood. You could et the renters to cover a portion of the mortgage and have equity when she completed her degree. If the other children happened to go to the same university, ou'd have housing arranged. If not, you could sell it.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:56 am 

That would be a great idea if i could afford it. We live in our entire two family house no that there are 7 kids. my cousin lives near the college she wants to go to and he would let her live with him. He adores her and now that they have a new baby they would probubly love the help. Her being one of my oldest kids. She would love it too. We shall see. I am not sure how she would even be able to hold a job when she is older.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:09 am 
Site Admin

There are lots of jobs that don't allow food.
How about scientist? Museum curator? Store owner? Television personality?
Graphic design?
What is her passion?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:39 pm 

Art is her passion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:29 pm 

I
Quote:
am not sure how she would even be able to hold a job when she is older

There are a lot of jobs that are work at home, online jobs now. That wouldn't have been the case 20 years ago...but it's getting more common all the time. My husband works at home on-line and travels a few days a week too...so NO office NO co-workers NO time wasting commute :D .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Art, eh? Well, if she can adapt those skills to computer art programs, there are certainly exciting possibilities. Art directors (magazines, advertising) usually have home studios and excellent careers with no or few direct colleagues; there are illustrators ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:56 pm 

I have been meaning to reply to this as well. . . I don't think of my son as sickly but I must say I do watch him closely. I will perhaps make sure a sudden cold isn't something else. But there is no way that I ever consider him weak or without the ability to participate in 'regular' things. In fact I know this because of him limitless energy playing hockey and soccer, and his running in cross country meets (once all in the same day!). This kid has stamina.

I also know that when we lived in California, he had the sniffles from October to April because he was more susceptible to reacting to the damp/mold in our house. I am sure he appeared sickly because he was always dealing with this runny nose and allergy shiners, like he had a cold that went on forever. And I have to say I kind of thought it was just 'him' until we moved up north and got a less damp house. He seemed to have energy there but I now wonder if he would have developed more asthmatic symptoms with a longer exposure in that moldy house -- he went on asthma meds two of his four winters in that house. I feel lucky we dodged that bullet of an official asthma diagnosis.

As for food allergies appearing 'sickly', I don't think so. We should all be watching what we eat/ know the ingredients of what we are putting in our mouths. Allergies may require this knowledge in a way that seems 'too much' for others but I really try not to dwell on their perception of our 'special need'. And defending the need to do this is getting easier now that there is a growing global understanding of the seriousness of food allergies.

Caroline
ps Momofhalfadozen -- I am a museum curator, and one of the great things about working with museum pieces/archives is that there is no food allowed when I am actually working with the objects. Please feel free to private message me if you want more info.