You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:30 am 

When you sign in to any forum there is always a *Terms of Service* or *User Agreement*. Sometimes these agreements or Terms of Service (TOS) change.

With the recent upgrade at the peanutallergy web-site, the owner has changed the TOS. To post there you do have to click *I agree* (this is the way all forums I've ever seen work), but if you didn't read them, please do.

In case you have already signed in, the entire TOS is here: http://djole.pair.com/peanut/boards/ubb ... bb=newuser

Please note the following portion:

Quote:

All of the writing on this service is the copyrighted property of PeanutAllergy. PeanutAllergy reserves the right to republish any material contributed by our readers. By posting a message, a subscriber expressly grants the right to PeanutAllergy to republish or sell the message as part of any edited compilation.

But I recommend you read the entire document. Print it off if you find that easier.

Although I am pointing out this one TOS, I want to state that people should always read what they are agreeing to. Many forums do point out when the terms have changed so that people can decide whether or not they want to agree to them. But any time there is a major update on a forum, check even if you aren't automatically directed to the page or advised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:51 pm 

Please remember that "all" information given to "any" website is out there in the public and it would be wise for people to think about what information they share. I find some people practically put their whole lives out there on the internet and then panic later that they have done so. It might help to remember that the internet is just like walking down the street. Do you stop everyone and tell them your life story? If not, and you don't consider doing that on the internet either, than posting at any website is safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Admin

Amongst the usual don't post your name and indentifying information it is important to remember that a picture is worth a thousand words.

According to NetSmart, part of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children,

Quote:
The rules we tell children to follow when posting pictures online is to think before posting photos. Personal photos should not have revealing information, such as school names or locations. Look at the backgrounds of the pictures to make sure you are not giving out any identifying information without realizing it. The name of a mall, the license plate of your car, signs, or the name of your sports team on your jersey or clothing all contain information that can give your family's location away.

NetSmart has some great information regarding safetyboth on the internet and in the real world. Their website is http://www.netsmartz.org/

They have an internet safety pledge geared to appropriate ages:
http://www.netsmartz.org/resources/pledge.htm

Now that our daughter has a WebKinz, I will have to get her to take this pledge.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:53 am 

Also, in line with what nishmom said, also remember that when you delete or edit out a post anywhere on the internet -- it doesn't really mean it's gone. It appears to be gone, but it is still floating around in the virtual world and it can sometimes be found.

Editing out information should be thought of more like throwing away a piece of paper you wrote on, without ripping it up. It does not cease to exist, and it can be found in the garbage bag, or the garbage dump. Think twice before posting personal information.

Susan, have you read over the full user agreement at Webkinz? I did before allowing my son to get one. I was sooooo impressed. Most *real* names are not acceptable in it's dictionary -- meaning your daughter cannot send a message to someone saying "My name is Susan" . It won't allow city names, or numbers. You cannot send a message with *7* or *seven* . This is to prevent a child from being able to give someone their address. The safety features on that site really impressed me.

Edited to add: Susan, the part about names and numbers might actually be in the FAQ's page. I read that before registering as well.