You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Karen and Susan are organizers so they'll definitely be there.

I'm going.

Will we see anyone else from the AL forum there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Gwen.
I'm really starting to get excited!
I hope we have a good turn out. I wish there was something like this when our daughter first was diagnosed.
I think it is helpful for the younger children to see that many people are affected and go on to live full lives.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

BTW, for any still thinking of going - thought I should fill you in on the details, in case you've missed.
OASG and AAIA have put together a terrifc program.
(This is a family conference, so lots of activities suitable for kids with allergies.)

The program includes talks by:
- Dr. Charles Frankish (pres. of CSACI, the allergists' group);
- Dr. Rhoda Kagan (speaking on "quandaries in food allergy);
- A senior scientist from Health Canada's Food Directorate on programs to enhance allergic consumers' safety;
- Kyle Dine - the allergy singer-songwriter - performs at lunch.

In the aft., there are a variety of workshops:
- A couple for teens / young adults on issues they face;
- Two authors give a "couples" session. Their book is "Special Needs-Children: A Couples Guide to Keeping Connected."
- Dr. Tony Ham Pong on How to Read a Label;
- Rosario Holmes from Ontario Lung on "Living Well with Asthma"
- I'll be presenting on living with allergies as an adult;
- There's one on coping techniques for you and your at-risk child.

Later in the day - an awesome looking panel on "How to Advocate for Your Child". Features MPP Dave Levac and other experts. They'll be talking in the context of your rights now in Ontario schools and daycares with Sabrina's Law.
- Also a couple of good sessions in French on nutrition and allergies, and raising a responsible allergic teen.
- And I didn't even cover all the sessions. Good job by those organizers.

See the whole thing here:
http://aaia.ca/en/activity-conference2007.htm

Post subject: Ottawa conference
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:08 pm 

Thank you for coming and speaking at the allergy conference in Ottawa, I really enjoyed not only your workshop but also the chance to meet you as I thoroughly enjoy your magazine. :)

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hey delighted to have been there. Good to meet you and others who I've only known on these boards.

I thought that was a really good conference - all the main speakers were most informative. Kudos to Karen and the OASGers and to the AAIA folks, especially Monika Gibson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

We attended the conference and I just want to say that I'm glad we did.
Our daughter had so much fun that she was passed out in the back of the car when we got home (they ran her ragged). She did crafts, games, saw a magician, heard a musical performance by a fellow food allergy survivor, met many children who live her life successfully, got to hang out with a "big girl" who was all about our daughter having fun (a six year olds dream) and she got a loot bag in the end!
My husband learned a lot about products out there (he does most of the shopping) and he got to meet some of the people in our support group. Mostly he was surprised to find that some families are dealing with long lists of allergies (I guess I never mentioned this to him?) and he came away feeling that his world is not so bad as it could be. I think he felt good in that he could make suggestions to others in ways of coping. It helps us to remember that we are doing a good job.
I learned about products I didn't know we could eat -ad's oatmeal cookies (not individually wrapped) are apparently nut-free! I will have to check this out!
I had such a great time meeting others and sharing stories about what works and what doesn't and the take aways were fabulous!
I really advise anyone who has an event such as this happening nearby that they go. I find it is very beneficial for the person with the food allergies to see that others are successfully living their life and also to be able to ofefr support to others as this gives them that sense that they are in control of their own life and managing it well.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb