You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:53 pm 

Yes, I was there for that lecture it was very informative. This something we did for me:
:idea: I have the stick picture of the person that is from Anaphaxis Canada. It made myself and my Husband much more aware about how important it is to reocgise the symptoms right away.
The picture has helped me to know when my body is having a serious reaction. You have the FACE, AIRWAY, STOMACH ,TOTAL BODY. Then around the titles it tells you all the symptoms that go with that. I have had different anaphlatic reactions to different things. Like shellfish I was total body, some others I have reacted differently milder.
I got mine with the membership to Anaphlaxis Canada and I see on the Poster it says www.Safe4kids.ca Could this help anyone else?
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am 

On page 17 of the recent summer 2005 Allergic Living, you will find more info on the "two or more body systems" in relation to anaphylactic reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:16 pm 

The "two-system rule" is what I was taught (and learned through my own research) as well. However, it is difficult for me to get other people to understand that a "life-threatening allergy", as I usually explain it to others, doesn't always involve wheezing or obvious breathing problems. My daughter has had 3 severe reactions in the last year and half (before we were able to pinpoint tree nuts as the cause). Her first reaction is a tingly mouth (or "spicy tongue" is her 3 year-old explanation) and then within seconds she turns beet red and starts swelling, which is then followed by vomiting. She had breathing problems during only one of those severe reactions. Even certain family members and friends sometimes imply that I overreact to her allergy, and "at least it isn't as bad as..."

I bought the EpiPen trainer and everyone who watches my daughter has to jab that trainer into their own thigh to really drive the message home that, yes, this is a very serious allergy.

(By the way, we have one EpiPen Jr. in her teacher's desk, one in my purse, one in her backpack, and an extra one at home. When we go up to the cottage, I always carry two with me, since we're about 20 minutes from the hospital up there.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:49 am 

Question: What's the epi-pen trainer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:07 am 

An epi-pen trainer is like an epi-pen with no medicine and no sharpee (needle).

In the states it's available for free some places - I called and ordered one from Anaphylaxis Canada. I think it cost around $10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:58 am 

I've found that another good way to grab a person's attention is to have them use an old (ie. past the expiry date) epipen on an orange. Then they can feel the force of the injection and see the needle. It give some people the creeps but they become more aware of problem foods if they don't want to have to use it on a child they are watching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:48 pm 

I would have never thought of using an orange. That's a good tip--thanks. Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:22 pm 

My pharmacist used it on a notepad to show me how it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:54 pm 

Diabetics are usually taught to inject themselves by using oranges and grapefruit.

My son teaches first aid/CPR and here are some pointers that he ALWAYS gives when teaching about epi-pens.

NEVER hold your hand over the end of the pen - instead hold it in a fist (similar to a child holding a crayon). If you are panicked you could hold it backwards - injecting your hand and not having it for the person needing it.

SET the orange on a table - not on your lap. And do NOT hold the orange. If you are pracicing with an expired epi-pen you do not want to slip and inject yourself in the leg, or in the other hand.

I have used expired epi's to practice myself, and train a teacher. But not with a child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:45 pm 

Good tips! Thanks AnnaMarie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:33 pm 

I've also heard that you need to hold the Epipen in your fist because if you block that whole at the top (where the grey cap comes off), it could change the pressure and not inject properly... don't know if it's true, but that convinced me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:04 am 

Mylene, I've never heard that - but I've thought it. There must be a reason that hole is there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:56 am 

I remember an allergist saying that his rule was that if you know or suspect someone with a history of anaphylaxis has ingested the allergen, give the epipen right away, don't even wait for symptoms. This was at an allergists conference in Vancouver a couple of years ago. He was the most conservative of all the allergists, as he was saying not to even wait for a symptom if there is a prior history, but it made sense to me. If I know my kid is anaphylactic and I think he's eaten peanut, he's getting the epipen right away.

I don't know where I heard this, so I don't know if it's credible, but I know I read or was told that it is not a good idea to give benedryl/anti-histimines in cases of anaphylaxis as it may mask more serious symptoms and then the person wouldn't get the epipen in time. I am sorry to add more confusion to this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:35 pm 

I've heard that too about the antihistamines. But I'm allergic to so many things that I do take Benadryl if I'm having a mild reaction and don't think that I've eaten anything I'm majorly allergic to. I don't think it can hurt to take antihistamine after the epi--although the most important thing is to take the epi and call the ambulance. They will administer antihistamines in the hospital. My allergist says it isn't necessary to bother with taking antihistamines for this reason (although his objection was that they take awhile to take effect--but I think he was talking about the pill form. i wonder what he would have said if I had asked him about liquid benadryl. one person I was in email contact with said that she had been told to take benadryl in addition to the epi.)

If I was having a major reaction, I would go for 1) the epi 2) the phone 3) liquid benadryl (it gets absorbed faster if it is in the liquid form. kind of heavy to carry in one's purse though)