You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:47 pm 

Just wondering how other people feel about this. Do you think about your allergies a lot? Do they cause you extra work or extra difficulties on a daily basis? I would say mentally, I do not think or worry about them in the sense of having anxiety or stress issues from it per se, but I do think about it in the sense of it having an ongoing affect on my life.

1) The drug allergy, I don't think about at all and it would only come up if I was ever in the hospital. As I now wear the medic-alert bracelet for other reasons, it does not really affect me at all, materially (except when I had to buy a new bracelet and call them up for a special order, because it has such a long name, ti would not fit on the bracelet)

2) The pet allergies do not affect me on a daily basis, as most of the time, they are easy to avoid. However, seeing my dad is a problem, and it has always really bothered me the way he keeps getting more and more pets without any sympathy for/regard to/consideration of my comfort in his home. In addition to trekking all the way uptown to see him and the time that involves, I also have to take another half hour when I come home to wash my clothes and take a shower so I don't have pet junk sitting in my hair where I can keep reacting to it. And of course, I must wear only machine-washable clothes when I see him.

3) The seasonal/environmental allergies, I do not think about, and they are pretty much on cruise control unless they are acting up, in which case I take a Reactine and hope for the best, and usually get it. They are there, but I am not overly bothered by them.

4) Green bean allergy, does not affect me at all. I never ate them much anyway, and they are fairly easy to avoid.

5) Nut allergy does not bother me much as I have never liked them anyway, and it is not severe enough that, should I eat a little by mistake, I notice anything. But it did spawn the oral allergy syndrome, and that is a problem. It is easy to avoid accidental reactions, but I miss eating regular fruit. An apple used to be a good snack for me. I find that I am a little bitter about this one sometimes. And I live in a very ethnic area, there are a lot of interesting-looking fruits and I am very wary of trying new ones because I don't know what will happen. Also, as a teacher, I am constantly being exposed to it because I have lunchroom duty and I have to help the kids with their lunch. Thank goodness I have never had a contact reaction just from touching it (if I did touch a raw apple, I would immediately wash my hands, the one time I had a reaction to apple was very scary!) But for example the other day, a few teachers made apple pie with the kids, and if I was the teacher, that would have been a problem for me to lead that activity.

6) Dairy intolerance, it bothers me sometimes. I am okay with small amounts in baked goods, but actual milk or cheese kicks up the asthma and makes me really congested and tired. I do miss cheese sometimes! And I would like to be able to take yogurt as a snack to work, because it is really handy. It is less an issue now though because most of the fun-looking prepared foods I used to covet also ave corn, which is a definite no-no!

7) Corn allergy, this changed my life completely. I can't have any prepared foods at all. I have to ask questions when I go out to eat, and I sometimes still have reactions---not deadly, thank goodness, but bothersome, and they can take up to a week to clear up. This is also a really hard allergen to completely avoid, and I have just accepted that I will have reactions from time to time. I miss being able to just buy things in a store, or go to someone's house and not have to look at all the packages. I also find that people have trouble remembering this one. My mother has only just gotten to the point where she reads labels herself and tells me if I can eat her food when I am over there (this, after six months of me asking to see labels). And people don't know what's in things. So, they will say "there is no corn" and there is, or they will say "we get all oru salad dressing in a giant vat with no label and we have no clue what's in it."

On a daily basis, I would say I am very aware of my meals and planning them and having nice containers for them so I don't feel like I am deprived. And I am always watching my skin for spots that might signal a reaction. But I do live my life too and sometimes I will go out anyway, and just hope for the best :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Our lives are set up in such a way that we naturally avoid the allergens. Day to day is not a problem. Special events or celebrations are times when you are reminded that you are different and that the lack of education on the part of others is a danger to you. This is I find the hardest part (I am a cynical, control freak I am well suited to this :) )

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:00 pm 

As far as FA's, I'll echo what Susan said...our day to day routine is set up in such a way that avoiding my sons' allergens is just business as usual. We find that peas, tomatoes and peanuts are fairly easy to avoid, while egg is a little more challenging. During times when we're out of our regular routine it is more work (vacations, holidays etc.).

The seasonal allergies are more of a difficulty for us. There are a couple of months in winter when everything is frozen solid that my sons feel well, but for the rest of the year it's a balancing act of meds and avoidance.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:47 am 
Site Admin

I must say that I came back from our vacation empowered! Even though it was a lot of preparation involving researching the town, the emergency services and contacting locals to see what foods would be available (I love the internet for this) and even though I spent a small portion of the time cooking (I'd have spent the same ammount of time waiting for my food at a restaurant), I felt it was a positive experience. I came away having tried new safe foods (which unfortunately I can't find at home). It gave our daughter a sense that there is more out there to see and taste. It taught her that this can be done safely.
After years of fine tuning our purchases I find that we can easily fall into a bunker mentality. Never to stray from that which has proved itself to be safe. This was extremely important in the early years when we were focussing our energies in educating ourselves and others. Now, we can afford to broaden our horizons and after all, isn't this what travelling is all about? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Susan, wonderful to hear.

As an adult, I have to think about allergies when I eat out, visit friends or travel. Actually, I think more about food prep. than I do about the allergies as such.

I'm getting better on travel, but ...

In a hectic life, I'm always running late for flights etc., so I really have to remember to factor in time to organize non-liquid food (I used to love my soup Thermos for flights, oh well). The hardest part is return flights - will there be time to pick up some safe foods? Sometimes I end up pretty famished if there isn't time. That's what I think about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:21 pm 

Yes, my allergies do majorly affect my life because there are so many of them. I have to cook everything from scratch . . . and with the exception of berries (sometimes) I have to cook my fruits and veggies too. So everything has to be refrigerated. This is somewhat of a challenge when it comes to travelling. At least I do enjoy cooking . .. most of the time!

The worst is when I have to get ready to go somewhere in a hurry---i.e. last winter, I had to travel a distance to go to a funeral, so as soon as I got word, I was cooking up a storm.

chemical sensitivities get to me sometimes. I don't have *serious* reactions, but I definitely react.

Because there are so many things I can possibly react to it is hard to figure out what the problem is sometimes. I've been getting sick from time to time lately (kind of like morning sickness, but without the pregnancy). I thought I had figured out what I was reacting to, but I was sick this week as well . . so I just don't know.

I can't get the environmental allergies under control. They do affect my life, but I'm used to them (and I don't have *major* respiratory problems), so I try not to think about them too much. I probably could do more to reduce exposure to allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58 pm 

i've always found my allergies just sometimes come up and bite me in the butt and get me down once in a while, mostly because i'm used to my skin now, and it's just second nature to me to have my skin care and anti-histimine regime. (aka i use all the same cleaning prodcuts, i always have my anti-histimines with me, and i carry around moisteriser, and small containers of my shampoo, and body wash in case i need to shower at a friend's place after work)

what i'm talking about though is something like what happened to me the other day. i was at the mall, after a good day of shopping with my friend, sister, and niece, when my niece puked on me! i went to change into my sweater and realised she had gotten that too, so i had to borrow my friend's sweater. she uses fabric softener and different detergent i proptly started feeling hives on my arms and back. it's a small thing, but buying a new sweater would have done the same thing, and it just reminds me how annoying the whole allergy thing can be, but at least it's not life threatening (always looking on the bright side)

so to answer the question, it does effect my daily routine, but i'm used that, it's the stuff that comes up that generally reminds me that i hate my skin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:29 pm 

Some days, weeks, months... it feels like we are endlessly inconvenienced and/or affected by allergies in our family. I'll try to break down my points to keep this brief!

1. Last week I had to remove ds from his favourite part of the playground (the wheel for pretend driving) b/c I found that someone had covered it in mayo. The pkg was on the ground, and it took me a moment to notice that it was open, and then to notice it was slathered on the wheel! Long story short, ds was fine, I'm still recovering, and we haven't been to the playground since.
Along the lines of allergy activism, I was debating contacting a newspaper about this. We have great community newspapers in the city, and of course there's always the city paper... any thoughts/suggestions?

2. Last week my doctor prescribed penicillin to me, which I didn't notice until (thankfully) the pharmacist did. I had to wait until the following day to get my prescription, since my Dr. was unreachable. It was a strange experience, because in the midst of managing things with ds's allergies, I tend to forget about mine!

3. Dh has terrible eczema right now (he's had it here and there all his life, but not so bad), and last week the Dr. suggested it might be a food allergy. I've warned him that he's kicked out of the house if it's anything different from ds's allergens! haha.

4. After years of digestive problems and skin trouble, my brother has just been diagnosed (again, last week!) with allergies to kidney beans and egg whites. He had long ago given up dairy due to lactose intolerance or an allergy (no official diagnosis).

It just feels strange to be surrounded by allergies like this. Of course they're always there for us, but most times we don't have to think so much about it.

As always, thanks for listening!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 pm 

My alergies effect me daily. Just today my hubby did the grocery shopping and I gave him list to keep in his wallet and he even called me to as me about the ingrediants. I had asked him to get me some potato chilps. I dont eat them to often but i was craving them. So he comes homes and they have citric acid. I wanted to cry but i sucked them and smiled and put away 5 items I knew I couldnt have. I'll have to go to the store my self tomarrow and rebuy some items and take some back. He did try he just isn't used to shopping for grocerys or my allergies.

I have pretty much given up on purchasing items and I just cook everything from scratch.

I have even purchased items that hve not hd my allergies in it in the past or at another store i still have to read the ingrediants.

Example. I can't reses pb cups off the rack but the ones my kids got tricker treating i could eat. Weird huh. A baby ruth from Krogers didn't have the citric acid but the one at the gas station did.

I shop with a magnifing glass so I can read the ingrediants. It doesn't matter how often I purchase somthing I still have to read it.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I shop with a magnifing glass so I can read the ingrediants. It doesn't matter how often I purchase somthing I still have to read it.

Yes, I think I'm going to start needing a magnifying glass, too!
Yes, we always read the labels 3x, so I guess we are inconvenienced but I just don't think of those types of things huh it has become second nature.

That was scary about the mayo on the play structure! I often worry when I see small children eating around the playground but that sounds like a Halloween prank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:03 pm 

Like Gwen, my focus is more on food preparation than anything. I often wish I could just order take-in. That would be nice. I do find myself inconvenienced when I'm out, for example, as I have to bring meals and snacks with me or limit myself to safe junk foods (and really, is there such a thing as 'safe' junk food from a health perspective?).

Social events are something else; I have to give the usual Food Allergy 101 explanation whenever anyone kindly invites me over to dinner.

So yes, all in all, food allergy definitely circumscribes my daily life, but there are steps I take to minimize this (e.g., cooking/freezing meals in bulk, educating friends and family, exploring new foods after calling food companies).