You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:22 am 

I know I have seen information on this before in our forum but I just can't seem to find the discussion....I have a question about the correlation between allergies and giftedness. How can that be? WHY would that be?

I have to also say I have a practical need for this information: much to our surprise, our son is in the gifted program! I hope that doesn't sound too mean, but he seems like such a sporty, happy-go-lucky guy that I thought his sensitivity and intense play were just interesting aspects of his personality. In fact, I was concerned that he was getting distracted by his sports (very little homework doin' at home) so I asked at our first parent/teacher conference what I could do to 'inspire' my son to want more from school. The two teachers (he is team taught) looked at each other and said yes, they had noticed his athleticism, but really I had nothing to worry about his behavior in the classroom. He is very thorough and he really IS finishing all his homework in class. They also later told me that, through the universal giftedness testing they do all grade 4 students, they discovered that he qualified for the gifted program. This means he will get an education plan that will follow him through grade 12, because once identified as gifted, the school district sees him as needing more challenges in order to reach his highest potential. Or something like that. I am just learning about it all!

So talk about a different experience at a different school. My boy has gone from being the Allergy Burden last year at his old school to being Mr Sporty-Smart boy at this one. It's just amazing!! And he is *really* blooming, which of course makes his mama proud. :D

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:22 am 
Site Admin

Woohoo! I'm glad he is doing well in both sports and academics. He will be accepted by both groups and not classified as jock or nerd this way.

There was a recent article that spoke of those with allergies being more highly evolved. Perhaps that is your answer.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:38 pm 

I had posted the info about that. Here's the link

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/pg.htm
Wow...your province actually has gifted programs? We don't here. I know some schools around here have split classes (to group kids of different grades together and provide only 1/2 the time teaching at their grade level) and tend to place the smarter kids in those. I know someone who was actually told that after 2 years of her smart daughter being in a split class and given 1/2 the attention to her grade level...hopefully she would be at the same level as her peers. Nice to see your province actually helps kids reach their potential and not purposely dumb them down like they do here.

It's nice to hear your son is doing well in sports and academics. My girls are excelling academically (schooling at home) and my oldest is doing really well in dance. It's nice to chat about the good stuff too! She has been invited to dance competitively with her dance school even though she is young for her level. I'm happy for her to be doing well ...since excelling in physical activities is such a boost to the self esteem.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:10 am 

hi Caroline,

I went through that process as well in grade 4, and it really makes a big difference having all the extra resources. We had a system where you could either join a gifted class at a particular school full-time, or go once a week to a gifted program. Both options were great. In high school, we had meetings every year to make sure the work was challenging and exciting. So add me to the list of allergic+academic!

I'm trying to think if anyone in those classes had allergies... can't think of anyone, but that was in the mid-90s, maybe more now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

Caroline, How fantastic to hear your son is thriving in his new school.

Are the allergic gifted? Well, I'd sure like to think so.
:lol:
But then again, it could just be you've got one sporty-smart boy,
who happens to have allergies.