You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: movie: The Game Plan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 pm 

Has anyone seen this movie yet? It's a movie (comedy) for kids and is quite good (I took my 8 year old daughter). The little girl in the movie is 8 years old and has a nut allergy. In the latter part of the movie, she has an anaphylactic reaction to a nut-containing dessert, and the father literally runs her to the hospital. I did not know anything about this movie, nor was I prepared for the child having an anaphylactic reaction. I had tears STREAMING down my face throughout this segment of the movie as it brought back our terrifying experiences with our son having anaphylactic reactions requiring the Epipen, ambulance, hospital and FEAR, FEAR, FEAR! I haven't read anything on the chat about others seeing the movie, but I'm sure some have seen it. I wondered how you or your child felt about that portion of the movie.

Earlier in the movie, the father has an allergic reaction to cinnamon, and that part of the movie really bugged me because they portrayed food allergies as comedy!

I'd be interested in hearing what others thought.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:14 pm 

I haven't seen the movie, but I would be interested in renting the DVD when it comes out sometime down the road. Sounds like something I'd rather watch in the comfort of my own home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:38 am 
Site Admin

My daughter and I watched this movie at a birthday party for one of her classmates.
The mother is the chairperson on our Parent Council. She practically insisted that I stay for the party and I saw a look of concern when I started to whipe down the chair in the cinema.

I think she got a sense of the anxiety we go through.

I agree that I was annoyed by the cinnamon scene at first. I also leaned over to my daughter and reminded her that we always carry her Epi-Pen and would never have to rush through the streets like that.

Who eats out without carrying their auto-injector? An eight year-old should have a basic grasp such as this.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:40 am 

I also used it as a teachable moment with my kids. We discussed how she should have had an EpiPen, and how she shouldn't have eaten anything without it - and she especially should not have eaten the dessert! It was not to put all the onus on the child, but more to discuss with them the safety rules that we follow in order to avoid a situation like that.

I liked the movie overall, but I'm a bit ambivalent about the fact that they used the allergic reaction as the big dramatic moment, especially since it (the reaction) didn't have to happen.

On the other hand, the reaction was shown as very serious (she had to stay in the hospital and people were very worried about her), so at least that is good.

I agree that the cinnamon reaction was just plain ridiculous, and found that treating it as comedy was kind of tasteless (no pun intended). No adult would go ahead and continue on with their life, speaking like that with a swollen tongue... If I were around an adult with a swollen tongue from an allergic reaction, I'd be giving him an EpiPen! And spoiling the comedic moment, apparently...!

K.