You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:38 am 
Site Admin

OK, so I apear to have a compulsion. I can't pass up a sale of insulated bags. :oops:
I suppose it started with my buying one for her lunch, but then when we went out for a day it was too small and the camping cooler was too big...then I found a duffle bag cooler (36 cans) on sale one fall for $12.99 and had to purchase it. It is perfect for our family day trips and packs flat when travelling empty.
A few weeks ago I spotted another bag (9 cans) for $2.94, now how could I pass this up? It will hold 2 large plastic containers, a water bottle, cutlery and an ice pack.
But now I think I must stop.
I must have about 7 bags in different sizes and shapes. I will cull the lot of them and only keep 3 (OK, maybe 4).
Knowing you have a problem and admitting it is part of the solution...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:29 am 

This is probably along the lines of enabling, but... I say keep them all! Some day a strap will break, a cooler's lining will tear... and then you'll have to shop all over again! As long as you've got storage for your collection, keep them! ; )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, yeah! I can probably store them within each other.
This is the time of year that they're all on sale, too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:59 pm 

I have a similar thing about lunch containers. I have a laptop lunchbox, a Mr Bento-style thermos jar with three containers that nest inside, and a full thermos with two containers that stack in a bag with it. I am always on the lookout for fun boxes and kits to pack my lunch in. I take a lunch every day, and it is just so much more pleasant when I have a nice container to carry it in. It is more appetizing when it looks attractive and well-protected.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:28 am 
Site Admin

I don't think my husband could handle any more containers with different lids! It seems to be the one thing that drives him crazy (he's normally a very patient man). He keeps threatening to throw out all of the different shaped containers except for one.
Maybe for Christmas I'll get him that system that is seem on TV where all of the lids fit al of the containers.
I keep teling him that different situations call for different cantainers and hence the need for different sized coolers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:07 am 

You both really have to check out these cute lunch boxes...

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

I haven't got one for ds yet, but plan to for Christmas.

Marla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 am 

They are very cute -- anyone from Canada already order them online? I'm curious about customs charges, etc.
I also wonder if the lids are easy for little fingers to operate. I want as few people touching his lunch/containers as possible.
We've bought the "Lock & Lock" containers and he can manage them well without help.
http://www.locknlock.com.au/square.htm
I picked them up at Wal-Mart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 am 

Just fyi never fold them wet... ew
and if you are going to store them for along time wrap a small bit of ground coffe up in a sock and toss it into them. little peices get into the lining of those things and grow. Also set them in the sun open for an hour if you can before you store them.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:21 am 
Site Admin

Eww, yes, I once had an issue like that with the high-chair pad (a very long time ago).
I try to turn the bags inside out to get into the seams when cleaning them. I will try your coffee in a sock trick. I suppose it is to absorb the excess moisture.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:10 am 

Yes it does just that... got the tip from a moving company when we were storing a big freezer. Opened the freezer u almost 5months later no mold no smell except coffee.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:44 pm 

I have two insulated bags. I do love them. Mine how ever came free with a case of beer and look like a case of beer. We use them a lot when travelling. I have taken them to the beach and the zoo and I'm sure people think it's beer so I try to hide them in the bottom of our wagon. Maybe I should ask Santa for a bag that does not look like a case of beer :D .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.