You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:02 pm 

BEAUTIFUL cake Renie! It certainly beats my rectangle cakes with plain icing! The only "add on" I've included is to plunk a "Thomas the Tank Engine" or "My Little Pony" figurine into the middle :lol: I'm sure you're daughter loved her cake, and she'll appreciate it VERY MUCH when she's a little older (4 year olds don't quite "get" these things yet, but when she does, she will be even more THRILLED with her mommy's effort!)

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:54 pm 

So we had the "family" birthday party last weekend and since DD's cake was at the "friend"s one and the DS who just turned 1 is enthusiastic about bears, he got the bear cake:
http://public.fotki.com/renela/2007/dec ... e1233.html
doesn't have the Cinderella wow factor but I am having fun nonetheless!

So, we've got cakes, challah (braided bread), cupcakes, pancakes, french toast and buns. Who ever said you can't bake without eggs?! Still kind of wish I could use the Wilton stuff like the colouring gels but the challenge is worth it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:45 am 
Site Admin

It's a very cute cake and I'm sure he must have loved it!
I'm glad that you're starting to discover your culinary world is not as small as you once believed.
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:39 pm 

Renie, I'm just catching up, and noticed your reference to "french toast" without egg. I would love to do this... can you tell me how you're doing this? Thanks!

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Renie-I'd like your french toast recipe, too!
Here is the link to my egg-less french toast recipe.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1884

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm 

SURE! I LOVE vegan french toast - given that we don't eat eggs anyway and haven't for years, this was an early find that we have stuck with. I am not always the best judge of "if it's good compared to the real thing" since it has been a LONG time since I've used eggs, butter or white sugar but guests have always liked this so I am sure some of you might enjoy it too...

Sinfully easy... shhh... don't tell anyone...

Whisk together:
-- 1c "milk" (almond, oat, soy, dairy, whatever works in your house)
-- 2 tbsp "flour" (just like above, it's pretty forgiving. i usually use ground oats or whole wheat flour - i know that doesn't work for LOTS of families on this board)
-- 1 tsp sweetener (or to taste once you have tried the cooked version)
-- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
-- max 1/2 tsp salt
-- cinnamon (or I guess cinnamon-sugar if you have a sweet tooth) for sprinkling while frying
-- optional: i sometimes add milled flax seeds to boost nutritional content. probably up to 2 tbsp, but i don't really measure

soak your bread in this mixture, then proceed as "usual" - oil/spray/fat in a pan and at med heat, lightly brown both sides.

we use fresh home baked challah bread for this, when it is still so nice and soft :)
we seldom have left overs...

nutritional yeast - it is available at any health food store and is frequently used in "cheesy" vegan things.

let me know if you try it and what you think!

edit:
forgot to say i usually take organic frozen berries and warm them as an ooey-gooey but good for you topping. that way my sweet tooth hubby and girl cut back a bit on the maple syrup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

I'm late to this party, but va-va-voom what a cake.

Way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:46 pm 

Hi Renie, Thanks for posting the recipe!! I can't wait to try it... I just have to buy some "nutritional yeast flakes", and we will give it a go.

Julie