Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

To soften your rice wraps nuke a cup of water to boiling and pour it into a deep sided plate which is big enough to accomodate your wrap. A pie plate works well. Submerge he wrap for about 5 seconds until soft and remove. I make the wraps and send them in a plastic container. I've not had complaints about them being too dry but then, our filings are quite moist.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:15 am 

Our system is similar to Susan's. My DH figured it out - not sure how - maybe something on the web. Before, when we didn't know what we were doing, we'd leave the wrap in the water too long and it would turn to mush.

So here goes:

A bit ahead of time, dampen a bunch of clean cotton tea towels and put them in the freezer to cool off (not to freeze though).

1. Fill a large shallow dish (we use a flan dish) with very warm water. My DH actually boils the kettle and keeps it nearby for refills.
2. Put the rice wrap in the water for 5-10 seconds - no more. It will still seem a bit stiff when it comes out, but will soften more in the next step.
3. Place the wrap on one of the clean damp cloths that you've gotten out of the freezer. Cover with another damp cloth and repeat the process until you have enough for everyone (assuming you are doing this for a supper or something).

Et voila! If you are doing this for a lunch for the next day, I would probably leave the wrap in the damp cloth for a few minutes, and then fill it.

If the wrap sticks to the surface you are working on, put a bit of water on the surface to stop the sticking.

I guess I would wrap the wrap in plastic wrap - not sure. Susan? Does that work? Or it is too sticky??!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:14 am 
Site Admin

I just make up some rolls and put them into a plastic container. I asked her if they dry out and she says that they don't. I would think the plastic wrap is too sticky.
We don't do the build your own spring roll at the table because dd is already concocting too many experiments with her dinner as it is. If I opened the door on this I don't think she would ever get around to actually eating! :roll:
I suppose I should try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm 

Thanks for the great tips in preparing the rice wraps!!

We've gone way off topic from the original post (don't we often do this?!)... anyway, just wanted to mention that we also make vegetarian sushi (my husband is Japanese, and my son was born in South Korea, and my daughter was born in the Asian part of Russia, so we have a real Asian influence in our home!). If anyone would like this recipe, I would be happy to post it. We also prepare a "Thai" chicken that goes well with an Asian meal (of course, all of this when you have loads of time to cook - which doesn't happen all that often with busy young children!) And all of these recipes are allergy-friendly!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:22 pm 

ficbot wrote:
Helen, you might be interested in checking out a book called 'The Eat Clean Diet.' It is a lovely book with lots of photos and I had admired it from afar, but always thought it was too strict. Now that my allergies have cut out 90% of prepared foods and I have to make so many things from scratch, it seems like a much more reasonable program :) She has a section in there about packing a cooler for the day which might interest you. She also has a beautiful cookbook which I love. Given your restrictions, it might make more sense to get it from the library and see how much you can use. I personally have found it a great book though full of ideas on healthy, natural foods to eat. I bet you would love the photos she has of all of her healthy foods packed up in little containers :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look this book up the next time I'm in Chapters---I'm especially curious about the section on packing a cooler!

Rice paper----is this made from rice and no other flour? Is it something one could make at home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

Is rice paper like rice wraps? They contain nothing but rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:40 am 

I googled both terms and I see them used together, i.e. "rice paper wraps". I assume they are the same thing... Anyone else?

Speaking of digressing: while I was "researching", I found this page, which is kind of cool -

The Cook's Thesaurus: Food Wrappers

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:18 am 

I've never heard of either rice paper or rice wraps until this thread! I've never seen them in a grocery store either.

Since they are just made from rice and water, I could have them . . . though I'm not optimistic because cross contamination is usually an issue. (I even stay away from rice crackers . . . the ones I've tried make my throat itchy---probably due to x-contam.)

It doesn't look like you can make rice paper at home . . . but I'd love to try it if it were possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:05 pm 

It used to be difficult to locate rice paper wraps, but I can now find them at my local Superstore! (I find them with the rice noodles, etc.) Rice paper wraps are used to make Vietnamese or Thai spring rolls. The wraps we buy are imported and sold under the brand name "Rose Brand". The ones we buy are a product of Vietnam. Our son eats them without any trouble, but I do realise the concern with imported foods - usually we try to avoid imported foods, but we've had no trouble with the rice wraps. I've bought 2 different sizes... the ones we have right now are about 6 inches in diameter, and I found them easier to work with than the larger diameter wraps. We stuff them with very thinly sliced raw vegetables (I know the raw vegetables are a problem for you, but you could cook them in advance) and sometimes steak strips (previously cooked). I like to dip the wraps in a tasty dipping sauce (I usually put Kikkoman soya sauce, garlic, ginger, a bit of hot pepper sauce, a touch of cilantro, etc.) We've always eaten them fresh (not fried).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:26 pm 

Thanks, Julie. There is a Great Canadian Superstore in a neighbouring city, so I'll check it out. I'll give some thought as to whether to risk the x-contamination issue . . . it would be great for lunches!