You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 am 

A co-worker was organizing the 'secret santa' thing today while all of us were sitting together eating lunch. Basically, you get somebody's name, and then have to leave them treats every day for a week. Not that I *need* to be eating treats, mind you, but I asked if she could put a note on mine reminding whomever gets me to please read the ingredient labels, and she said okay, but then made fun of a me a little (corn rhymes with *******, etc.) It ticked me a off a little, especially since she is the only other teacher with a food allergy.

Later, she made another comment about it, and could tell I was embarrassed, so she got all apologetic and asked me seriously if it really meant I couldn't ave doritos and licorice. I said it did, and she seemed to take that seriously. But then as we were leaving, she said she was going to pick up dinner and maybe se would get some corn ha ha ha. I was not amused, but didn't say anything.

Aside from the teasing, which is irritating, but I can live with since it doesn't happen very often, I just find it hard to always be doing this. Many of my co-workers, I know nothing about them, but they know this intimate stuff about my health just because I have to tell them for safety. And I am sure we all have known hypochondriac people who complain about every ache and pain and how annoying that can be. I don't want to be that person. I certainly don't think I talk about it excessively. But it does need to be mentioned in situations like this where food is involved! Or it needs to be explained when people make fun of me for my fancy lunch containers and I tell them I *have to* bring my lunch due to my food allergy so I may as well make it fun for myself.

I have just seen so many times that people don't get it, so I do need to watch out for myself, and yeah, if I am going to get a week of treats, they may as well be treats I can eat. And if it is an inconvenience for them to read all the labels, well, I shop like that every day, so maybe buying me the darned treats will teach them some empathy so they don't make fun of me for it. Like this is all my fault, right, and I am doing this just to be a joke or an annoyance? What did they think?

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Gee, with all of the dollar stores out there I'm surprised that people aren't a little more imaginative that candy! :roll: I was hoping that you'd get a lottery ticket or some small trinket. Our Secret Santa committee at work asks that we give a christmas ornament for under $5.00.

Your right that everyone else assumes a right to privacy regarding health matters but those with food allergies must make others aware their health condition. I think that this is indicative of how much we depend on others to asist us in staying safe. We need them to know if we eat their food or eat near where they eat their food. We may need them to assist us when having a reaction.

It is really unfortunate that your co-worker kept making jokes in bad taste. To think that she too is a teacher and that she really doesn't get it makes me cringe for all of those students with food allergies who will be in her class. I suspect that she was embarrassed but really she should have just kept her mouth shut.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:23 am 

That sucks that your coworker was so insensitive, Ficbot!

I don't have FAs myself, but I do have chemical sensitivities. Perfumes and other products with fragrances make me really sick, and I also hate drawing attention to myself, and being looked at as a hypochondriac. People can be downright rude about stuff they don't get.

And with my children's FAs and environmental allergies, we've also encountered people who look at them as if they're annoying inconveniences rather than children with special needs who require a little extra support from the community around them.

Having allergies, you do depend on others to help keep you safe, and you sure notice the differences in people's empathy and generosity levels!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:44 am 

My daughter went through teasing like that at our church so when she met a friend who goes to the church down the street from ours we let ehr attend there. The youth minister has been veryvery good about not pointing her out and about using different foods. Even the kids atitudes are different. When mentioned that a kid could not come to teh party if there was pizza not one kid complained but offered to have somthing different.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:56 am 

Did I read correctly and see that she has a food allergy too? :shock: That is bizarre that she should be so insensitive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:45 pm 

Yeah, you really do have to let people know if they are giving you gifts involving food!

I do get lots of comments on my lunches, too. As long as the teasing is good-natured, I don't really mind. I wouldn't appreciate someone making fun of my allergies or taking them lightly, though.

I also feel awkward when eating with people I don't know at conferences and such. I just feel that people will assume that I'm on an extreme diet of some sort.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Ficbot, How insensitive is that woman? A regular laugh riot.
:roll:

That kind of teasing is tolerable now and then, but to keep coming back to the subject is irritating. I know what you mean about not wanting to be singled out - not long ago, I went out for lunch with a group, and one woman among us insisted on interrupting my allergy spiel to the waitress with - "Oh, she can't eat anything!"

I used sarcasm/humour to deflect. Think I said something teasing back like: 'well I won't be able to eat anything - and you won't either - unless you let me finish!'

Other times when the conversation turns to allergy "jokes," I'll say, 'OK, OK, enough about moi. Are we still talking about me? Please, I'm getting bored over here...'

It's annoying to have to go there, but I find this kind of deflecting does work in changing the conversation. That and the occasional eye roll.