You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:38 am 

I keep reading on this forum about how quickly symptoms subside after using the epi/twinject. This has not been the case with my daughter. Both times the symptoms slowed but did not stop and the results were not instant. It also takes 1-2 days for the swelling to subside. I am interested hearing about others' experiences with epinephrine and am wondering if this is something I should mention to our allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

When our daughter symtoms were allowed to get very bad, it took 3 days before she looked the same.

When we gave her the Epi-Pen sooner the reaction halted and cleared up sooner.
I'm no Dr, but I think the larger the reaction the longer it takes to subside.

During her second reaction, part of me felt that I should wait to see if it was going to be an anaphylaxic reaction but then I realized that I would never allow such a reaction to run it's course to the bitter end so why should I let this reaction get worse than it had to? The fact that she had just eaten a piece of walnut and was having hives around her mouth, facial swelling and a bit of trouble breathing (coughing) was enough.

I gave the Epi and by the time the ambulance got us to the hospital she had no visible symptoms.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Well my first anaphylactic episode in 1993 was quite bad.

By the time a friend got me to hospital – I was struggling to breathe and my blood pressure was deemed quite low. A doctor came out immediately to see me (clue that this was not good), and right away gave me a larger than usual dose of epinephrine (so they told me later).

What I think many of us mean when we say the symptoms improved so fast is that the breathing regulated fairly quickly. I think it's like the Lung Assn's great slogan: "When you can't breathe, nothing else matters." Hives took a few hours to abate, and my stomach felt as if someone was using it for a punching bag for several hours. But getting the breathing back, and the blood pressure I guess, felt like an incredible relief.

In another reaction, yes, swelling and hives took over a day to clear up.

Maybe ask your allergist if you're worried about whether your daughter is someone who needs a second dose after a certain length of time. Some apparently do.