You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:06 pm 

Well I found my self in the hospital on Monday. I had an eptopic pregnancy. That in its self was hard but oh my....

I was taken off liquids around lunch time and I asked to speak to the diatian before lunch. I made them photo copy my allergy card past in red to the top of my file and put it inside my file and tape to my bed card. :shock: The night nurse was great. I got a liquid trey for dinner with three things that had orange in it. :? The diatian fixed my first meal her self and my hubby brought me a cooler of food I could eat as well. So that I wouldn't starve. At this point I didn't have a room mate. about 30min. before the dinner trays came down the hall I got a room mate. No problem didn't bother me. They brought e a reg dinner tray I didn't even accept. I said what I needed and the lady who delivered the trays said to give her 20min she would go fix me a salad. :D Well I got up used he potty and that is when it hit me. I walked past my room mate and my face swelled my eyes itched. I quick ran out of my room and stood huntched over in the hall. My nurse looked at me and didn't say a word. (she was really mean abut all my extra care I required, guess I wore her out) I politly told her that I as having a reaction to my room mates food tray. She said go back in and sit down i'll call your doctor. I said no I can't go back in there. Can you help me. She shruged and walked away. I started bawling. I was itchy all over by this point and my eyes where swollen and my neck i knew was red. I said very loudly at her back where is the Nurse manager. The nurse manager ran into the hall and took ne look at me grabed a chair and sat me down asked me what happened. She got me a cool rag and found me a private room. I can't help be think now if I had go into anaphalxes I would be dead. I would have died in the hospital. I just wanted to tell you all my experiance so you could be informed if you ever have get in my situation.

I can say that by the time it was for me to leave the lady who delivered the trays came into my room and asked me what I could have for lunch. I thought wow I shoould have delt with her first. She was so sweet.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Wow Karen, I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that. Ectopic pregnancies are very serious and painful (from what I've been told) and any pregnancy loss is hard.

I hope that when you feel stronger, you send a letter to the hospital administrator. That is a horrible experience and should not have happened.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:44 pm 

That is just terrible Karen. You might want to consider filing a complaint. When I had my first baby I had really poor treatment and like you was just grateful to get out of there alive. I just wanted to forget, so I never complained, but later I wish I had.

I will be thinking good thoughts for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:30 am 

I called the hospital today and talked to their famliy relations person. She was horrified and said you are absolutly right. I told her I would be willing to come and talk or teach or give first hand information. I also told her that yes it was bad that I forgot my epi but I was in a hospital and that I suggest if yoou have person with allergies that are life threatening an epi be on the wall of their room in an easy to reach pocket or shelf. She agreed with me and said yes there needs to be a change. She said that with the children who have allergies growing up and the few adults like my self the hospital has proven its self incapalble of dealing with allergies.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Last edited by Momofhalfadozen on Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:19 pm 

Good for you, Karen! You will make a big difference this way. It will be a comfort to you to know that even though you went through what you did, the follow-up you are doing now will mean that no one else will have to go through the same experience.

Karen I hope you are feeling better - that was a horrible experience you went through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:23 pm 

Karen, What a horrible horrible experience for you - I'm so sorry to hear about it. I hope you're feeling better. Thank you for sharing this with us while you are recovering from this terrible experience.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses