You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Antibiotics Biaxin...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:33 pm 

To my absolute terror, i've been prescribed, at the "no appointment" clinic, some Biaxin, on top of Nasonex, to try and finaly get ridd of an on and off going sinus infection...

I managed, in the less than 10 min, I had with the doctor, to make her understand I couldn't and wouldn't take any kind of pill or gelcap form medications, because of all my new intolerances especially to gluten (I read it is in many medicines for conservation, etc...).Suprise...she was paying attention and understanding (wrote me a prescription to see a dietician and offered the same for allergy and extensive gluten testing....wow! But I'll go back for that...)....She told me Biaxin does exist in liquid form, and told me it was gluten free...but I have doubts, as she seemed to have answered from the top of her head rather quickly....

Anyone knows this antibiotics?...Will the pharmacist give you the list of ingredients if asked?...

Needless to say I will not take any kind of medication even remotely likely to make me sicker than I already am....I'll be working backstage with kids for the Nutcracker Ballet that is in town for the week...Can't afford to be in worse shape than now...

So until I know with absolute certitude, I 'll stick to Nasonex and my Calcium ascorbate and vitamin C....

Thanks in advance for all infos....

Loumana

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 pm 

the pharmasist will actually have more information then your doctor, because so long as your information is accurate their computer systems will alert them to any allergens and drug interactions that can occur before even filling your prescription, so if you're worried definatly talk to the pharmacist they have the most up-to-date information on file if you're still worried i have a friend who works for the drug and patten review board of canada and i can get her to look up some info (i have her look to see if new allergy meds are approved in canada yet cause of my allergy to benadryl)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:36 pm 

Thank you dustytiger,

I just got back from the show I work on and talked to my husband who went to get part of my prescription filled out. He couldn't get much infos as the pharmacists were swamped with customers...All he got were papers with all possible side-effects (which I usually get...), very technichal infos about dosages, interractions, etc...no ingredients anywhere...

I'll go back myself tomorrow or later after the weekend...but if you could get something for me, I'd really appreciate it....my intolerances and allergies (other than sulfas) are not listed in their system because, honestly I hadn't tought of telling them....and they are not officially diagnosed...so they won't get any alerts....

I don't intend to have that part of the prescription filled out before monday, anyway, as I can't afford to be sick over the weekend...

Many thanks in advance

Loumana

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/clarith.htm
Quote:
After constitution, each 5 mL of BIAXIN suspension (clarithromycin for oral suspension, USP) contains 125 mg or 250 mg of clarithromycin. Each bottle of BIAXIN granules contains 1250 mg (50 mL size), 2500 mg (50 and 100 mL sizes) or 5000 mg (100 mL size) of clarithromycin and the following inactive ingredients: carbomer, castor oil, citric acid, hypromellose phthalate, maltodextrin, potassium sorbate, povidone, silicon dioxide, sucrose, xanthan gum, titanium dioxide and fruit punch flavor.

I hope this helps.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:39 am 

You're a lifesaver Susan!....

I'm thinking I might have problem with the fruit flavour...which is probably artificial....I already react to that and the so called "natural flavour" too... I've also been reacting with major stomach pain and digestive problems with homemade bread the past three days...the only two new ingredients for me in it was tapioca and xanthan gum...Don't know which one I'm really reacting to, though...

So I guess this antibiotics as many others out there is a no no for me...Keep your fingers crossed y'all that Nasonex, some sleep and clean air (my lovely young new neighbours have been smoking and "not inhaling" other stuff....all night long since july...and it's crreping inside my appartment and making sicker by the days...) and my super duper vitamin C will be enough to get ridd of this sinus infection for good....

Thnaks again Susan and dustytiger!

Loumana