You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: NAET therapy????
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 pm 

Has anyone tried this? A "friend" of mine has been asking why we're not trying this with our peanut/tree nut allergic 8 year old son... I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it and what th results were. I terrifies me to say the least :)
You can see it www.naet.com

Thanks so much for any and all input :)

Jen
Ontario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

It frightens you with good reason. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I've read that it's based on a theory of allergy as "energy blockage".

Consider this: if we know that allergies are a misfiring of the immune system, how does "energy blockage" come into play? The answer would be that it doesn't.

This NAET is a variant of Applied Kinesiology. Quackwatch - http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRel ... ts/ak.html - has this to say about AK:

The Bottom Line

The concepts of applied kinesiology do not conform to scientific facts about the causes or treatment of disease. Controlled studies have found no difference between the results with test substances and with placebos. Differences from one test to another may be due to suggestibility, distraction, variations in the amount of force or leverage involved, and/or muscle fatigue. If you encounter a practitioner who relies on AK muscle-testing for diagnosis, head for the nearest exit. Meanwhile, it would help if science-based kinesiologists would stop referrring to what they do as "applied kinesiology."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, judging from her home page, she can cure just about anything!
"If it sounds to good to be true..."
At best it is a waste of time and money, at worst it is just plain dangerous!(JMHO)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:29 am 

Thanks ladies :) I was thinking the same thing.... Coming from a science/medical background, it just didn't make any sense to me. I appreciate your replies!!

Jen
Ontario

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:56 am 

i'd love to hear what penn and teller have to say about this on bullshit lol

sounds like something someone would try if they had an annoying (not life threatening) allergy and money to waste lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:19 pm 

Out of curiosity, how many people have actually tried it and have had negative experiences?

I don't know much about it right now, but I'd rather hear from people who've been through the procedure and have discounted it, rather than people who have judged it and discounted it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 am 
Site Admin

It's not about "judging", it's about what is and isn't science.

And since we're talking about children and life-threatening allergies, I sure wouldn't risk experimenting. Panacea, it would be one thing if you were talking about trying acupuncture for headaches (I tried this for migraines, didn't work, but maybe it would be effective for someone else).

I think it's important to consider the nature of the disease. With anaphylaxis, you don't mess around. The stakes are too high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:22 pm 

My son used to wake up with his pj's stuck to his little body from oozing eczema. We were exposed only to 'scientific', allopathic doctors at that time, who were trained to prescribe things like cortisone cremes, elidel and even Protopic. With Protopic, the pharmacist wouldn't fill the prescription, and was almost horrified that my doctor prescribed it for my kid. The owner of the pharmacy later called me and said the original pharmacist was new and didn't know what he was talking about.

Not knowing how pharmaceuticals work, and up until now trusting the 'experts', a red flag went off and I started having a more open mind about what therapies were beyond 'science'.

We opted for homeopathy (which, by the way, also encompasses 'energetics'). Through trial and error (and a great homeopath), we found specific remedies for my son. It has been over 2 years now that his skin has been supple, soft and beautiful.

We've had great results with homeopathy for treating a pile of stuff in the family (grown ups and kids) . It works for us, but it doesn't mean it fits for everyone. Sounds like NAET doesn't fit for several of you, and that's ok. JennO72, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

My son is ana. to milk, wheat, eggs, soy, peas, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, most legumes, lentil and beans. He is contact reactive to the aforementioned, and has several other food sensitivities that I won't bother mentioning. He also has several enviro allergies, all which keep him at home (no daycare, no school). He is cute as a button and if there is something out there that can help him, I'm willing to approach it with an open mind.

SO - if there is anyone out there who has tried NAET and has an opinion to share, please pm me.

Thanks!