You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:27 pm 

So, I posted earlier on the office 'secret santa' thing. I had asked the organizer to please ask whomever got me to please double-check the ingredients, and she made fun of me a little...

Anyway, we had the secret santa exchange this week. Monday and Tuesday were small gifts, one of which in my case included a food item (which was fine when I checked in) and tonight was the big exchange. My gift was a gift certificate to a store I enjoy (Indigo gift cards are always a good bet!) and...a box of chocolates. With hazeluts. And corn syrup.

So much for 'can you remind them to read the labels, please.' I know, I don't *need* to be eating chocolate anyway, but to me, this is not so much about the presents as it is a respect issue. The person who drew my name is a part-timer support person so I know she doesn't eat lunch with us and might not know about my food issues, but the organizer of the exchange (who herself has food allergies!) certainly does, and was specifically asked when the names were drawn to please pass along the info about my food allergies to whomever drew my name.

I surreptitiously got rid of the chocolates (gave them to another co-worker) when nobody else was looking, and I didn't make a big thing about it. But...well, like I said, it is kind of a respect thing. I know office secret santas are not the biggest deal in the world and that in the grand scheme of things, this is small potatoes. So I guess a part of me doesn't know why I care at this point :) Except, that it really does feel like an issue if respect, and it kind of bugs me that the message clearly wasn't passed along. And al the more annoying because I can't say anything, or else I will be forever known as the annoying scrooge who made a thing about the secret santas because somebody bought me a present I didn't like :(

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:13 am 

Yeah, that sucks when you get a gift your allergic to...at least it wasn't from your mother. :lol:

My husbands MOTHER ALWAYS gave him toffeefee in his stocking from the time he was a CHILD until I made a big deal of it when we started dating (he was eighteen)!!! He's allergic to nuts by the way. Toffeefee = hazelnuts. So the next year...she went out of her way and got him seashell treasures...you know, the ones with ground nuts! She bought them because they "weren't crunchy" so she figured nut free :roll: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 am 

Oh this really gets to me. My DD is allergic to mi lk and she has been given pizza coupons and chocolates :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:42 am 
Site Admin

I guess the phrase that comes to mind is, "It's the thought that counts." So, what exactly was the thought? Was it, "I don't like you and I hope you die"? I'm pretty sure it wasn't that! Was it "Oh, wait, I have to buy a 'secret santa' present for some one...hey this looks like it will do the trick...I forget who's name I pulled but doesn't everyone like chocolate?" or was it "...(insert white noise)..." None are very attractive options.

In a world where you can't say Merry Christmas or put up a tree for fear of offendin g someones religious beliefs, where school are changing the words to christmas carols...we are uncomfortable pointing out someones faux paux (one that if not noticed, has the potential to kill us).

We are the most tolerant people I know. I feel the same anxiety when I need to confront someone on the issue. I have been known to wait days before speaking to the school because I am afraid that I will come across too strongly.

Personally, I hate secret santas. We try to donate to food banks and toy mountains, for me that is my secret santa. If someone wanted to spend under $5.00 on a gift for me just put it in a kettle somewhere. If they wanted to spend more, please buy some poor village a goat.

I hope that you can find something nice at Indigo's and not let this bother you too much. Maybe once the holidays are over (or next year when it comes up again) you can mention to the organizer that you know it's not about the gift but the thought but...you could never quite figure out which thought it was...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 pm 

ficbot- I would have the same feelings as you. I think it is perfectly normal to be a bit put out by the lack of consideration. It's a bit like giving an alcoholic a bottle of wine isn't it...

saskmommy- your post gave me a good laugh. Sadly, your mother in-law sounds a bit like mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:47 pm 

That is pretty thoughtless since your coworker obviously knew that you couldn't use the present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:34 pm 

I was thinking about this and I think if I didn't know what to get a person tea is usually safe or a gift card and if I was at a total loss and couldn't think of a food as a treat to give I would give them a fun present at the same cost.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.