You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food aversion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:59 am 

I have been really bad every week seems to hold a new allergin for me. This week Wool. Last week it was corn. I have become afraid to eat. I called my health insurance nurse and talked to her. I had a mental break down. She asked me many different questions.
1. What have you eaten in the last two days?
2. How often do you cry over food?
3. Do you feel sick to your stomach when you think of eating?
4. Have you ever thrown up after eating?

Well she went on asking me a few questions and then patched me thru to a therapist and set an appointment up for me. She told me if I didn't go to the appoinment she would have to call for action. I would asume commit me. Hum anyway... I think after my last hospital visit :roll: that just stressed me out more.

Anyone deal with this before?

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:42 am 

I have not, but I can certainly see how a string of reactions to different things would make it very difficult for you to trust food. It must be extremely challenging.

I would give the therapist a chance. If you aren't happy with that therapist, I would try to find another. I would try to make sure that the therapist understands that you are dealing with food allergies, which puts you slightly apart from people who have an aversion to foods for other reasons. You MUST avoid some foods in order to avoid reactions, so some of your food-avoidance behaviour is perfectly normal. It's important for the expert to understand that.

See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1060 for a discussion of the psychological effect of allergies. You might want to share some of this info with the therapist at the start of your discussions.

I hope things work out, and wish I could offer more help.

I do send you a big hug, if that helps!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:47 am 
Site Admin

We had a speaker talk to us last fall about anxiety and food allergies and I really think that speaking to a therapist would not be a bad idea.
I don't think you can be committed against your will because you are anxious about eating foods. You are not an immediate danger to yourself.
You might want to think about your past hospital experiences and use them to create a plan in case you ever end up in the hospital (far any reason).
Have you seen the article on Stress City? It talks about your emotional tool box. Your emotions are there to help you (anxiety helps you to learn quickly, angry gives you energy to deal with an issue). You can use your experiences and your resulting emotions to help you set up your life so that you can survive and thrive. When you start spinning your wheels and become overwhelmed, you need someone to help point you in the right direction, a therapist can do this.
Oh dear, am I mixing my metaphors again?

http://www.faiusa.org/section_home.cfm? ... icle_id=55

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:24 am 

You have had a really hard time of it, and I know for my family, after Aaron had a reaction it was like a post-tramatic stress disorder - he was really anxious, and we were really anxious, and it took a while. I have a friend who has a little boy with anato milk, wheat, egg, nut/peanut and shellfish and she said the exact same thing - that she feels like she is having post tramatic stress all the time, either freaking out over last reaction or terriifed and waiting for next one.

I think what you are feeling is very understandable, I would feel that way too if I were you. There is a really good article about how kids and familes with ana are very stressed, and it is underrecognized, it is hard to find the right support. It may not help you feel better, but at least you will know that your reactions are not weird, for someone who has gone through what you have lately, you are behaving quite appropriately. (Well, of course you are terrified!)

http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/Downloads ... lStudy.pdf

Have you been to your allergist to see if they can help? In Ontario they have a special food store in there children's hospital - why don't you call their dietician and see what they say - maybe they have some suggestions for food that is really unallergenic, till you can get a handle on what is causing all your reactions.. I don't know, I am just guessing, but if I were you I would do as the nurse suggests, but also get some practicial help too with what you can safely eat from a dietician and see your allergist. My allergist is giving my whole family (except husband) allergy shots as a way of halting the allergic march, as every year we are becoming a little bit more allergic. Maybe your allergist will have some answers for you and suggestions for you.

Hang in there and be very gentle with yourself and really nurture yourself, you are dealing with a lot, and it is normal to be scared if you don't know what is going to happen next. I hope you find really great support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:33 am 
Site Admin

Do you have a support group nearby that you can attend?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:28 pm 

The support groups in my area are on the other side of the city and cost money to attend. They also only meet once every 3 months. I think the time is also really bad as I remember correctly. I have thought of starting one but I don't know how. I am also not sure I have the mental copacity or the time to do that.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.