You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 pm 

[b]HIVES FROM LYSOL SPRAY AND WIPES[/b]. I have used both for several years now to kill any allergens on grocery carts (food ana) and other surfaces. Only problem , continued psorias on hands. Now - Hives over arms and hands. For the past couple weeks I have written down "everything " I have eaten, touched and used - and have finally, I think, figured it out.

A couple of weeks ago our 11 month granddaughter was put on "liquid penicilliin" (she and her parents live with us). I am ANA to penicillin. Our family Dr was away so someone else in the office saw her. When they brought home the penicillin I called the Dr office to have a new prescription replace the penicillin. That Dr. saw no reason to change the medication and said I would be fine as long as I don't touch it. :roll:

Well, as we all know, there have been some documented cases of ANA from saliva and seminal fluid. So....here I have had a teething, drooling, fingers always in her mouth 11 month old in the house on liquid penicillin for 10 days. Because of the "possibility" of the penicillin allergen being continuously deposited throughout by her drooling and fingers plus her sippy cups and dishes, I have continuously used the lysol spray and wipes over the past 10 days.

That is the one constant on the list each day. So since dinner last night I have remained out of the room while husband does the wipe downs. No touch, no smell. All hives gone this morning. Mid-afternoon husband used a lysol wipe while I (without thinking) stood beside him and suddenly two appeared on my right wrist. Looks as though I just may have found the culprit. Plus it was the scent, no touch.

Now, what else is out there that I can use to rid surfaces and hands (while out) of allergens? I need something - but have no idea. To call my allergist here is absolutely useless. Won't go into that. Please, someone out there give me some ideas.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 pm 

Sorry to hear that this has happened, but good for you for doing such good detective work.

Can you use just basic wipes? Not the Lysol stuff? Or are all wipes causing you problems?

K.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:55 am 

Karen, I have no idea, as I have not tried any others. I have been using Lysol Spray and wipes exclusively for the past 5 years. This all just happened in the last 2 weeks. Overuse, it looks like. I think it was somewhere on this forum - it was stated that hand cleansers, regular wipes and dish soap do not cut the allergen but anti-bacterial ones will. Is there a milder anti-bacterial wipe/spray that cuts the allergen that other people use?

I think I once asked about the Huggies watermellon scented antii-bacterial wipes for my granddaughter. It is outside the home, mostly, that I use the wipes while grocery shopping, visiting, anyplace with food, etc. The spray I use in the house and when wiping down bathrooms etc in a motel/hotel.

Somewhere within all my allergy info is the bleach solution for kitchen counters but I cannot find it. This probably sounds silly but....I have no idea if just a little bleach would do or if it needs to be a fair bit. Do you know the ratio of bleach and water that I can put in a spray bottle?

For the parents of small children with ana allergies - what do you use on their gentle skin to wipe any possible allergen off?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:04 pm 

susieQ wrote:

For the parents of small children with ana allergies - what do you use on their gentle skin to wipe any possible allergen off?

I use either WetOnes or regular baby wipes. I use them on shopping carts, food court tables and chairs, highchairs, and also on her hands and face (I prefer using the baby wipes on her, but I've used WetOnes without problems). From what I've learned it's the rubbing with a moist towel/wipe that rubs away the allergen, more than the antibacterial, because allergens are not bacteria for the most part... That's why stuff like Purell is not enough to clean an allergen off your hands, because you don't actually rub it away. (I could be wrong about this, but it makes sense to me.)

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:54 pm 

Thanks kdufour, I will give wet ones a try. :) I was planning on using the store flyer pages to line my grocery cart as I couldn't use my lysol wipes.

Wish me luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:14 pm 

I get hives from for all kinds of cleaners and sometimes I can't breath. I do know when I use clorox clean up I cough up blood. :shock: I do not know if that is an allergic reaction but I get hives as well.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:49 pm 

Sorry to hear you also get hives from cleaners, Momofhalfadozen. I tried the Wet Ones on Friday. Pulled out one and wiped only the ends of my fingers then chucked it out. Within 10 minutes 2 hives appeared and more appeared throughout the day showing up on not only my arms/hands as usual but on my legs and stomach. The next day I sprayed Shout (stain remover) onto two stains and within 2-3 minutes wrist became itchy and I actually watched as two hives came out on the underwrist. Weird actually watching them appear. This time I had over a dozen that I could count - on every limb plus stomach, along spine and neck/shoulder area. :( The larger ones were very warm to the touch. Worst yet.

Went to family doc today and he put me on antihistamines for the next 5 days and told me to avoid "all " sprays and cleansers (including bathroom fresheners) for the next two weeks to try to get it all out of my system. We will go from there.

Momofhalfadozen - what do you do about going into public washrooms and stores where the disinfectant is soooooo strong? Avoid them or just grin and bare it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:22 pm 

Well I was just discussing this with my friend at church. They use those air freshioners. :( I acually have been known to hold it until its painful or wait till I get home. :( The ones with citrus in the are the worst. They started using orange cleaner at the grocery store where I like to shop and now I can't go there at all. I alled them but I never got a good answer. So I just go down the street to the other store. My Dh was teasing me the other night that I should get a portta potty for the back of the van. He didn't laugh after I agreed with him :lol: But yes I some times just have to suffer and use it and when I come out I look so pretty :twisted:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 pm 

you would be horrified at the level of toxins in Lysol wipes or sprays that can cause problems in sensitive people. :shock:
This is a short clip (about 10 min) that I show to people interested in cleaning up their indoor environment. Makes me really, Really, REALLY glad I no longer buy store bought products!!!!
Go take a look....worth the time for anyone wanting to eliminate toxins in the home.

CBC Marketplace Video #1:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/file ... ndex2.html

Click on "Real Video" under "Watch This Story" in the right side menu. You may need to download RealPlayer to watch the video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:12 am 

Pepper great article!

When my allergies started getting really bad I went by this phrase.
"If I can't pronounce I wn't eat it" !

I think we all should go by that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:15 am 

Consuming and eliminating bad stuff is a major part of control for many people - my family included. But what I didn't realize for some time, and my Allergist clued me into this - everything you come into contact with can add to the overall effect - its like having an umbrella over your head - it protects you from light to moderate rain - but when your system gets overwhelmed with irritants, be they food or otherwise, its like having a major rainstorm over your head - your umbrella can only protect you so much - when it crumples, you get sick. That's what was happening to our one son. When we cleaned up our indoor environment, it reduced the stress on his system so he could battle the moderate influences without ending up in hospital. He's now in his 20's,on his own and still uses our safer products. When he gets lazy and lets other products enter the home, he ends up regeretting it - usually gets sick. So...if it works....don't change it. If its not working, look at alternatives.