You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:26 pm 

Once upon a time, we used to feel a compelling need to try to explain away every hive.... we quickly learned that we had to expect and accept them as a part of our family life, especially given our DD's sensitivity level.

The other week, she had the chickenpox vaccination (I finally caved). It is probably the second time ever that she's had a bandaid which we didn't pick and apply - you know the ultra cheap seeming "lab" ones? The first time, her skin looked irritated. This time, although the bandaid was on for a limied period of time, her skin really welted. It was localised and there was nothing else to alarm us but it did take Benadryl cream for it to subside and her to feel comfortable. I know that the CFIA fact sheet on sesame allergy has bandages as a potential non-food risk but ages ago I learned that since products like bandaids are not food/consumed, getting information on them (and what may be in them) is not as easy as would be convenient.

Anyone have experience and advice dealing with these types of 'mysteries'? I feel unable to probe into this one and don't like thinking that there is another unknown "something" out there which can trip her immune system...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:43 am 
Site Admin

No info here but I would carry my own bandaides in the future (I actually do always carry bandaides-everyone who knows me, asks if I am carrying something before they look elsewhere because there's a good chance I'll have what they need. :roll: -man, I've really got to get a life).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:12 am 

Oh - we do that too - our "medical pack" travels everywhere we do and likewise, people look to us whether they need a bandaid, tylenol, wet wipes etc. Becasue of my bandaid paranoia, I also have a few in my wallet and my workbag :)
This was a case of daddy took them in for the shots and the tech stuck it on so fast without checking. In fairness to daddy, he had both kids with him, both getting vaccinated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:41 pm 

I get rashes when I use Elastoplast fabric bandages. Anywhere the bandage has touched I get a rash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:43 pm 

I've never heard that about bandaids being related to sesame allergy. They do not normally put a bandaid on DS after vaccines (he doesn't bleed enough I guess) but for his 12 months shots he got a needle in both arms and they put a bandaid on both arms. We took the bandaids off after 1-2 days. Within 4 days he had a very bad rash and you could see exactly where he had a bandaid on his one arm. At the time my doctor contributed it to a virus :roll: then later we found out about his egg allergy so we wondered if it was the MMR vaccine (first exposure to egg), but now I'm wondering if it was the bandaid and a possible sesame allergy. But why the reaction on only one arm?

Not sure if the link will work, but here's a pic where you can see the rash on his face and the mark on his arm. The rash later spread to his entire body.
http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z161 ... ning-1.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:39 pm 

Diana - wow poor little guy! The photos did work. For our daughter, we took the bandaid off within about an hour and put benadryl cream on right away (after washing the area). I am really not sure what triggered it - something in the adhesive I think.

Here's the info from CFIA about sesame allergy where bandages are listed as non food sources. Link for the full site follows.

Quote:
Non-food sources of sesame seeds
Adhesive bandages
Cosmetics, hair care products, perfumes, soaps, sun screens
Drugs
Fungicides, insecticides
Lubricants, ointments, topical oils
Pet food
Sesame meal, e.g., poultry and livestock feed

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labeti/allerg/sese.shtml