You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 am 

I have an appointment with the allergist on Thursday. I try and book one every six months for "follow-up" as a) he is very hard to get appointments with and b) if you go more than a year without an appointment, you have to go back to your GP for another referral, and that is time-consuming and a hassle. So, what I know I want to talk to him about:

1) He thought I would be fine with small amounts of things like corn starch and corn oil. This has proven not to be true (although small amounts of baking powder in baked goods seem fine) and I want to let him know. Not sure what he will say beyond 'if it bothers you, don't eat it' but I want to tell him just the same.

2) I want him to test me for flax allergy. I have had some reactions where the only thing different was the flax seed. I am going to try and get some from my stepdad as I know he has some. If he can't bring it by, I have a fruit leather that has it and contains no other ingredients I have problems with.

3) I have had some new skin things that the GP has checked, am waiting for a derm appointment, but I may as well ask him while I'm there :) He has said that diet is not responsible for my skin problems. However, about 80-90% of the eczema does clear up when I keep my diet very clean of processed foods which might have allergens. So perhaps there is something more going on. As I said, he will probably say that I just have bad skin, but it doesn't hurt to check it.

4) Plan to take my food log and see if he thinks I need a referral to a nutritionist yet. There are some things I avoid which I am not "allergic" to but which do not agree with me. I want his opinion on these foods. I also want to make sure I am not over-doing soy, as I do not want to later develop an allergy to it.

5) I have some questions about the oral allergy syndrome. For example if I know cooked ones are fine and I want to cook them myself, I am not certain how long to cook them for and if I need to peel them first.

What else do you think I should ask.talk to him about while I am there? I really want to maximize the appointment as they are so hard to get!

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:17 am 
Site Admin

I think it's great that you are keeping him informed about what you can't tolerate. I can't see why he wouldn't refer you to a dietician, if you have to avoid corn you'll be pn a very restricted idet.
No more ideas because I think you've covered most bases.
Good luck with your appointment!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 am 

Thanks! I was able to get a small amount of ground flax from my stepdad. I was worried he would not be able to drop it off as I was babysitting tonight, but he said he will leave it at the front desk of his building for me. The internet says flax allergy is rare, but on the two occasions I had problems, it was the only other variable so I am curious. My doc is very good about testing for things with the actual item, so if I do have a reaction to it from the sample I bring in, that will be very accurate. It being a rare allergy doesn't phase me, it is so like me to develop an allergy to something really obscure like that :) I am glad I will be able to get some, it is expensive to buy that stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Personally, I think that's a lot of ground to cover in one appt.

I agree on the dietitian, push for a referral on that, corn can't be easy to manage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:01 pm 

Update: he rushed me through everything and had to check his notes to find out what he said last time, which is par for the course. But he tested me for the flax seed, and...yup. Allergic :) He said it is the first case of it that he's seen, but flax is a new diet trend and he expects the allergy to become more common as people are exposed to it. He also told me he did not think I needed a dietitian---he said I am worrying too much and I do need to be careful about the nuts, but he is not so worried about the flax or green beans and such, and I should just eat what I normally eat and stop reading on the internet so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Go and see another Dr! (if that is possible)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb