You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergic rhinitis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:21 am 

Has anyone had any luck with those saline sprays? My allergist put me on some new meds.....gave me singulair + a different brand of nosespray (i.e. cortocosteroid spray) + I'm taking anthistamine.) I asked about the saline spray and he said I could take it as often as I wanted but he didn't seem to think it would do anything much. My friend's family doctor, however, suggested that she should take it. What is the saline spray supposed to do anyways?

One other question: I've yet to meet anyone whose allergies have improved significantly with allergy shots. I recall reading elsewhere on this site that allergy shots aren't recommended for everyone and are kind of controversial. I've been told that it often takes 3-5 years to work. Has it helped *anyone* out there? If the allergic rhinitis doesn't improve with the new meds I might be going for year round allergy shots :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 am 

Lisa;
Myself and my Husband have allergic rhinitis also. We are both on sprays, he one brand me on another. They are corticosteriod nasal sprays and right now they are maxed out plus we are on eye drops. I think this year is bad whith all the ragweed we have up here th pollen counts have been really high. ( out of 10)
Other then that I not been given singular and neither has he.

Even my asthma Glucorticosteriod is maxed out first time in a number of years. If I have problems I am to take a benedyl.

I have never been able to take the allergy needle, my tongue swells etc. At the Allergy Expo it was spoken of that in Europe if you have more then two allergens(trying to remeber correctly) you do not receive the needles.

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:28 pm 

I'm sort of posting this because I want to see if my newly-added signature shows up. :wink:

But on this topic---I have heard a lot of positive things about allergy shots since I last posted. My allergist was going to recommend them, but then decided against it because I could move soon. Instead, I'm going for pollen vaccination shots.

I'm still having trouble with nasal rhinitis. Today, I decided to try something new: while I was at the pharmacy I picked up some "hyndra sense nasal care" It consists of "isotonic, sterile, 100% natural-source sea water." the idea is that it helps moisturize clean out the nasal passages. There are less expensive saline solutions available, but they contain preservatives I believe and one I noticed contained glycerine...I'd rather go with the most natural product out there. The sea water set me back by about $15.00. I hope it works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:29 pm 

Hmmm...my signature isn't showing up. Perhaps I exceeded the maximum number of characters..will try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:51 am 

Hi Lisa,

I honestly don't think that this is going to help but .(Don't you just hate those words?)

My son has been dealing with a plugged up nose forever and so has my daughter.
at the age of five she had her tonsils removed as well as her adnoids. apparently her adnoids were huge the Dr. was even surprised. She did get better but not 100%.
With my son he was constantly given the nasal sprays which helped but really nothing significant.I was told that I should have his tonsils and adnoids removed as well but I thought against it since it did not help my daughter significantly.
Finally I was tired of his constantly being sick with a runny nose and took him to my family Doctor. He recommended that I give him a dose of childrens reactine once a day. After a few days I could notice a huge difference he was sleeping much better. His energy level shot right up (not necessarily a good thing :lol: ) and his schoolwork improved a great deal even the teachers noticed a huge difference. His hockey team were amazed with his new found hockey skills.
I have made an appointment with his allergist but it is not for another month.

I have also been told that many of the Saline solutions are just water and salt. not sure if this is true but one of the doctors actually gave me a recipe once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:12 am 

Lisa,

I've been using Nasonex nose spray (once a day) and Patanol eyedrops (twice a day). Both are prescription. They do the trick for me. My doctor also recommended saline sprays (in addition to the prescriptions) but they didn't really work for me.

I have a friend who has been taking allergy shots for years and she swears by them. My allergic rhinitis is not as severe as hers so I never considered the shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:33 pm 

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Sil, yes, the saline sprays are just salt and water (and in many cases they add preservatives, glycerine). It isn't medicine---it is just supposed to clean out one's nasal passages. I guess the idea is that that might prevent nasal infections and moisten the nasal tissues? My sister's naturopath recommended it and so did my friend's family doctor--I asked my allergist about it and he said that I can use it as often as I want but didn't seem optimistic about it doing much. The pharmacist also seemed ambivalent---but he says that he himself uses the same one that I bought.

Storm, nasonex is my favourite nasal spray too. for some reason it works the best for me--even better than flonase which is supposed to be stronger, I think. My allergist recommends it for me because the nozzle is smaller than the flonase one so there is less of a likelihood of having nasal bleeding. (I get bleeding with any nasal spray, however. They are always skeptical about it being the medication--they think it is from the nozzle. But I know this medication can cause thinning of the nasal tissues.) I've been on nasal sprays for so long---can't remember when I started them. They work a little bit, but don't do the trick. Antihistamines + nasal sprays work even better but still I have sinus problems. After I'm on them for awhile, I stop noticing an improvement, but maybe that's because I just get used to being able to breathe slightly better. My doctor also had me try singulaire. Again, I think it helped a bit. I've been going to the allergist to try to solve the nasal rhinitis problem for almost a year now.

My doctor recommended allergy shots---and I was going to go for them. but then when the doctor heard that I might be moving in the not-too-distant-future, he thought I should wait until I'm settled. I see his point, but I find this kind of frustrating-----I've gone through all this testing, tried all these meds (which involved going to numerous appointments), even went for a CT scan of my sinuses. It takes awhile to establish oneself as a "compliant patient" (i.e. someone who keeps her appointments). Plus allergists try other treatments before recommending allergy shots. I fear that the next doctor I go to (whenever and wherever I move) might put me through everything again before he/she will let me get the shots. Also, I might not be "settled" for another 2-3 years depending on where I go next.

Anyways, I'm now taking a pollen vaccine instead. My allergist never mentioned exactly which vaccine I'm getting---but I took a look at the label and it appears to be for grass and ragweed. Not sure whether this is supposed to alleviate allergies for one season? or whether it has a more permanent effect? I don't know how much that will help since I'm also allergic to tree pollens, mold, dust, but hopefully it will help a bit.