You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:34 pm 

Without any of my major allergens.....It has to also be free of Aspartame or any other sugar substitutes...I react to that (mouth, tongue and lips...runny nose, etc...)

Allergic: Sulfas, dustmites, lobster, oat. Intolerant: nuts, peanuts, pine nuts, soy, rice, apples, bovine protein, sesame seeds, green peas, corn, legumes, beef, tapioca, xanthane, guar vegetable coating or gel caps, sulfites. Sensitive to acidic foods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:15 pm 

http://www.greenbeaver.com/ingredients/oral_care

We sometimes use this toothpaste. Some flavours contain xanthan but others do not. The company is based out of Buckingham PQ, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:40 am 

Unfortunately they all have glycerin (some even state vegetable based and one does not state where the glycerin originates from). Glycerin is usually from corn which is in the vegetable field. Do you know if they include corn in that? It is good that they use fruit based sorbitol though I think although that rules my daughter out depending on fruit. Does anyone know of others or have a recipe for atoothpaste substitute? It also does not state where the vitamin c in another originates (the cheapest source is corn). It would be wise to ring/ email the manufacturer/ site. It may or maynot be suitable for corn allergy sufferers. My daughter gets terrible sores/ ulcers from toothpaste but due to a lack of enamel must use it. I would love to find a toothpaste, wheat, soy, peanut, egg, tomato, avocado, mushrooms, banana, corn free required so far (the list is growng as more allergies develop) and available in Australia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:41 pm 

Due to my severe corn allergy, I can only use baking soda and water...sigh...not too kid friendly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:01 am 

Does it work? It should keep them white.. but does it prevent tooth decay at all? How long have you used that for if you don't mind me asking... and have you many problems with your teeth other than normal? Sorry I am being a little nosey.. but if it works it would be worthwhile..

Last edited by 4kids on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:48 am 

Try Toms... I have to use it as I react to all else.

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=450

They have many different kinds and i think will find one you can use.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 am 

Thanks I had a look ... Unfortunately they all contain Xylitol derived from corn and birch( I clicked ingreients.. then on Xylitol..

"Xylitol is a naturally occurring substance that can be found in plants, fruits, and vegetables and is even produced in the human body by normal metabolism. The xylitol used in our toothpaste is produced either from birch tree pulp or corn. Though there is some processing involved in extracting the ingredient, the end result is identical to the xylitol found naturally in plants. "

The xylitol in plants is not exactly the same as in the body.. . I would not mind if I heard more about this subject.. as I am unsure..I would think this could possibly create a cross allergy????? With the boies own xylitol??? Because of the cloeness of structures..Any doc's out there? Or anyone else that has tried it?

:P It is great to see they source their glycerin from non corn products!:P

Thanks for answering it appears a great product for many allergy sufferers.. And I love that you can find out where the ingredients in their products are derived from!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 am 

It may not be a good product after all.. this is what I found in their frequent questions...

[b]Question
What are the "other natural fragrances or flavors" not listed on your packaging? Why don't you list them?What are the "other natural fragrances or flavors" not listed on your packaging? Why don't you list them? [b]
Answer
The reason we do not mention specific fragrances or flavors is because the blend, a combination of natural essential oils, is actually held proprietary by our fragrance/flavor manufacturer. The amount of each fragrance or flavor used in the blend is very small because natural essential oils tend to be concentrated. Our specifications require that the ingredients used in the essential oils are natural and our supplier assures us that they are in compliance with our specifications. If you have sensitivities to particular fragrances, flavors, or essential oils, please let us know and we will check with the manufacturer to see if they are contained in our products.
For more information on how we use natural flavors in our oral care products, click here.

oops am i allowed to copy and paste from websites?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 am 

Some (not all) of the people on another corn allergy site have had some success with Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry for Kids toothpaste. It all depends on how sensitive you are to corn derivatives. I have been using baking soda and water for many, many years and my teeth are good...in fact, much whiter than they ever got with toothpaste. I don't overdo it with the soda...just a tiny amount does the job. Once in a while I will challenge my sensitivity and use some toothpaste...doh...and wake up the next morning with a skin breakout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 am 

the soda one sounds good.. i am going to get her to try it.. I know at 13 it is really her choice from their.. but if it stops the sores in her mouth I am sure she will choose the right option..they never seem to heal. We are fairly new at this.. But since going free of all her allergens her breathing has improved and I have not heard a "my legs are killing" , "I can't move my toes, I can't stand the pain even if I don't move them..", "my knees kill", " my ears keep popping" and so on..

I feel like a bad mother now as I never clicked that the arthritic like symptoms could be due to allergies! Or that her popping ears were due to inflamation from an allergic reaction. We only got tested because of her breathing deteriation. So this site and others have been a welcome source of info!