You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:22 am 

Hello,

I lucked oiut and got in to see the allergist for the first time yesterday.
I had 20 arm pricks of inhalants and 20 of food.
5 needles to test for dog/molds and 3 other and 5 more on the other arm for bees.

Long story very short this is what I was told:
I have inhalant allergies to MOLD/DUST/RAGWEED/BIRCH and GRASS which is causing an "ORAL SENSITIZATION"

He called this a nusance allergy and prescibed me an EPI pen to be on the safe side until I get things sorted out.

He said I wouldn't NEED allergy shots and it will all be trial and error of what I can eat, and one day I may be able to eat something and the next day not.

He didn't have much time to anser my questions, although he was actually a very nice man!

He suggested going to a dietician or nutritionist but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find any that could cross-reference what I'm in for.

It's very upsetting and confusing. There was no testing for sulfites and chemicals and many other things I am concerned about. His theory is trial and error and I am willing to pay for an exact answer or at least what I can for sure eat or not eat.

Do you recommend where I should go for more help or guidance or books or nutritionists?

I've been going in the wrong direction apparently because he told me to eat more processed foods because they're more diluted and not choose organics as much.

It seems to be against everything I've been working towards.

Is there any hope?

xoxoxoxo C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Dr's do not usually want you to restrict your diet more than necessary. Just because you are allergic to one member of a botanical family, it doesn't mean you are allergic to all of the members. You may be more likely to react to other members of that family than to a completely different family.

An example of this is peanuts. Just because you are allergic to peanuts, you are not necessarily allergic to all other legumes. You may or may not be allergic to them and you should be wary and act accordingly if you start to develop any symptoms.

These threads might help you:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2630

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2220

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220

So...you see you are not alone.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb