You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:49 am 
Site Admin

After reading the news articles about Katrina and New Orleans, I have to wonder how the food allergic/environmentally sensitive individuals there are coping?
I imagine the food at a relief shelter would be cross-contaminated as so many volunteers are needed, do they really have time to give seminars on food allergies? Think of your own learning curve. I am often thankful that we are able to provide for our family as a food bank would not necessariy have suitable foods.
My heart goes out to all of those affected by the hurricane, but I can't imagine how those with special needs are managing, and they have to as the hospitals would be overwhelmed if they survived at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:39 am 

This was actually mentioned on the news. They were talking to a man who is about to run out of insulin. He is in an area hard hit, so no running water, no electricity, no anything. And added to that is the fact that he cannot get medicine he needs to live.

There has been a lot of talk about disease from the water in areas that are still flooded - and as well as all the concerns about disease in that water, they mentioned the concern of individual's that could have fatal allergic reactions to the water. (Not like people that get hives from cold water, but reactions from things IN the water.)

The thought of being in a shelter would terrify me. But then, I worry about the *what if* I end up in a nursing home. Sounds silly, but, I really do worry about that. (Though my oldest son has recently informed me that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES will he allow me to be put in a nursing home - and I've NEVER discussed this fear of mine with him.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:09 pm 

I even worry about what would happen if I ended up having to stay in the hospital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:13 pm 

This is so hard to comperhend the distaster that has happened in the States. Worse than any nightmare you could imagine.

Lisa;
I had major surgury a few years ago, I really had to have it. They told my husband what food I would I could be eating on different days. So every night he made me meals. Puddings that is one the I really remeber ( it was really good !). :D I could not have the food it has additives in it plus cross contimation.We had a cooler that he left and everyday he refilled it with food.Luckily my roomate would not eat so I did not worry about her having fish or anything.
It was easier before the nitratre additive ana as I had a another major operation in the 85 and was able to eat some food. I always go home as quickly as I can !
These were both serious operations and I may of died during the operations, but I needed them both.

Anna Marie;
Me in a Nursing Home I could not imange that at all. I can not talk to my sons about it. My Nana talks about to me and tells me that I could not live in one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:26 pm 

Lisa, when my youngest was born I spoke to the dietician before the delivery. She felt they could handle the peanut allergy, the sesame seed was beyond them. Most foods she mentioned were what I consider to be may contain items and I would not eat them.

It was decided that my husband would bring all my food for me.

Same arrangements were made when I went in for surgery. It was day surgery, so not much trouble there - but of course we had to be prepared in case I couldn't be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:59 pm 

Kelly and AnnaMarie--thanks for the tips--it's definitely something I should think about. I haven't had to stay in the hospital overnight since the first grade but one should always be prepared. One would think that *hospitals* would be one place where allergic people could be accomodated but I guess because hospital food is usually prepackaged it is tough. Wouldn't it be great if hospital food was prepared on site with fresh ingredients.

Post subject: katrina.. and rita
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:50 pm 

That was the first thing I thought about. Those poor people with food allergies. I hope that there were foods that they could eat somewhere. And I hope that they were not separated from their medication.

And the people who evacuated early... where did they eat? This is how my mind works. All allergy... all the time. It is exhausting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:08 pm 

I noticed I haven't responded here. I always try to have a supply of "shelf stable" food in the house (in my travel bins actually) in case something happens. Last year, I had to travel to a funeral almost overnight, so didn't have much time to prepare and think. chips, crakers, easy to make rice, canned fruits, etc. it's not perfect, but you can still live out of it. When we had the ice storm a couple of years ago I didn't have all the allergies I have now, but they started not long after so it's almost the first thing I prepared for: fondue kit with lots of the fluid to heat it, things you can make simply with water, etc. I am not looking for luxury, just to be able to survive on what I have for a couple of days, enough to figure out the situation.

Mylène