You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:23 pm 

My son has always fought eating pease, and I kept forcing him. :oops: Last night while he was eating them he said "Mom they make my tongue feel funny!" Could he be allergic to canned peas? I've never heard of anybody with this allergy. He has his testing next week is this something that the Dr. will test for or should I specifically ask?

3 sons allergic to various antibiotics
1 son allergic to fish, shellfish,peas, dogs, and dustmites
1 son allergic to basically the outdoors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:00 pm 

Sure, you can be allergic to peas! Our allergist will check for just about anything if they have reason to believe their is an allergy to a specific thing. The only thing my allergist does "globally" is a environmental panel which is about 30 "popular" evrionmental allergens - like dogs, cats, horses, dust mites, grasses, trees, pollen, etc., etc., but that's based on symtoms of ichy eyes, watery nose and sneezing during spring and when around animals . . . .

As for canned peas, well, I think they're something easily eliminated from a diet. I know I wish iI could have said I was allergic when I was younger - they made me gag but my mom made me eat them anyway . . . . I'm fine with frozen . . . it's a texture thing :)

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, some people are allergic to peas, they are legumes. It's not common, but it's possible. Ask ahead of the allergist's appt. whether you need to bring any along for skin testing or do they have peas in serum form.

Although, I also have to agree with this, and it made me laugh:

Quote:
- they made me gag but my mom made me eat them anyway

I couldn't even force down frozen peas as a kid, and I'm not much better with them now.

I'm on your little guy's side on this one. Even if he proves not allergic, how about giving him a tomato or some carrots or whatever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:36 pm 

I agree that peas are easy to avoid and not a difficult allergy to manage. (Our son was allergic, but seems to have outgrown it!)

However they are sometimes found in very unexpected places. Some rice milk cheese contain pea protein. I just recently saw pea protein in frozen PC vegetable patties. I think I even saw it in chips once.

If you are reading labels anyways because of other allergens, it's no big deal, however if you are dealing with peas only, I would urge the "don't assume anything" rule of food. Read all labels all of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

We added peas to our daughters list of allergens just before Christmas.
She had originally been diagnosed with egg and dairy allergies. Then we added peanuts and tree nuts....now we have added beans and peas.
If it causes a reaction, I would avoid it.
I would mention it and bring a can. He probably will want to test.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:02 am 

I'm allergic to peas, always have been. Yuck. Same with lima beans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:08 pm 

Hi!

My son is allergic to peas. Our allergist at the time said that it's sometimes more effective to skin test with the actual food than what she has in her kit. We took in a baby food jar of mashed peas with no additives for testing. It didn't look appetizing, but worked well for the test.

It's great that your son can tell you what he's feeling! I'd trust that.
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:17 pm 

Our son is also allergic to peas. It was actually the very first food he was found to be allergic to. We were feeding him peas at 6 months of age, twice we saw his face turn red as a beet, and realised it was the peas. Although, at that time, I did not realise that this was an allergy, I just thought he couldn't eat peas. Later, the allergist said that because peas are a legume, this could be an indicator he could be allergic to peanuts. Sure enough, he is allergic to peanuts. We have been instructed to avoid all other legumes except those he had already been eating at 12 months of age: green beans and soy.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, our daughter can have green beans and soy, too. I suspect that she could have green peans and lima beans as she has never reacted to the frozen mixed vegetables but we'll never know because I can't get her to eat them.

Post subject: peas
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:38 am 

Hi

My 5 year old is allergic to peanuts, peas, lentils (we avoid all beans and legumes now except for soy which she is fine with) and treenuts

The reaction to peas was a face full of hives, treated with benadryl, but the lentil reaction was lip swelling, runny nose and itchy troat. She needed the epi-pen and benadry and a trip to the ER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:29 pm 

How is he with fresh/frozen peas? My friends' son was having difficulty with canned products in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:42 pm 

Thanks for your replies. He was tested lst week and his test came back fine for nuts, but she said his symptoms were allergic reaction to peas. TONIGHT, however we were eating bean burrito (and again he has never liked ANY bean but green) and I asked him to take one bite thinking it was a texture thing. He took one bite and he started rubbing his tongue on his teeth saying it itched again. SO>>.can he be allergic to peas and beans and not peanuts? I am so new this food allergy stuff...thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:47 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like a reaction to me.

In a reaction, the body is reaction to the protien in the food so anything with a protien can cause a reaction. So it is possible to be allergic to one vegetable and not the entire family. You can be allergic to one legume and not another or several all at once.

I would not offer him any new legumes (beans, peas, lentils etc) until his allergist has confirmed that they are OK. (this is the advice to me from our daughters allergist)

But continue to give what has been ruled out as an allergy. If he tolerates it, give it if he hasn't had it or has an aversion to it...don't.

Call your allergist today and advise them of this most recent reaction.

Keep your Epi-Pen/Twinject handy at all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm 

Great advice Susan. Just wanted to add that when we were testing our son for additonal legumes (we chose chick peas, kidney beans and one other), we had to bring the pure food in with us since the allergists office does not have the serum for testing all foods. A phone call to the allergist's office will be helpful in knowing which foods you may need to bring in. One other thing to keep in mind is that you want to test the "pure" food. Bringing in a can of baked beans isn't good because there is a list of ingredients. You need to isolate the food to one ingredient only, so you may, for example, need to cook the white beans in order to soften them for testing, but don't add anything else as this could just confuse the issue.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:54 pm 

I took the beans he ate last night to the allergist and she said there was nothing in but beans for him to react to, so add beans ALL beans but green beans and soy beans to his allergy list. Thanks for your replies they help ease my mind.