You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: BBQ and allergies
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:48 am 

My husband and I enjoy BBQs a lot, and we like some things that could have some of our daughter's allergen in it (marinades, fish, etc.). He thinks we can just "burn" all the allergens away from the grill at max temperature, but I don't believe so and we haven't given anything BBQ'd to my daughter, because the risk is too high for me. I want to get a separate grill so we can BBQ for all of us at once when we have non-allergenic foods (like plain chicken or hamburgers).

What do you do about BBQing for kids with allergies? Do you have a completely 'safe' BBQ at home, where no allergens hit the grill? Do you have a seperate 'safe' grill? Or do you just not BBQ at all?

Thanks,

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:54 pm 
Site Admin

We purchased our BBQ after diagnosis and we don't have her allergens in our home.
I completely understand your apprehension.
We have eaten at friends and they had scrubbed the grill first.
We've not had a problem but we always carry the Epi-Pen just in case. have we just been lucky?
Could you cook her diner in a foil pack? You can get pans for the grill which have slots or vents. You can even get disposable foil pans with vents.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

At home, we do not cook anything with our son's allergens on the bbq. When we go out, we bring along our own portable bbq (Canadian Tire has them on sale right now for $21.99, and this style is also available at Walmart for ~ $25 - $30) to which we attach a small propane tank (Coleman, 1 lb). The only thing safe option we've used when out at someone elses house is to wrap 2 wieners in foil, then throw them on the bbq. It's not a great option, but we feel our son's food is safe.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:24 pm 

We asked our allergist about this a while back and he answered that scrapping the grill clean and then letting it burn at max temperature for a few minutes removes any risk of allergens. He did remind us not to forget the grill as he has emptied his tank once or twice in the past doing exactly this.

We have never had any problems either at home or at friends places following this advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Triliam! I was starting to doubt our practice. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:32 am 

Thanks for the replies! I guess my husband was right with his "burning the allergens" theory... I still think I'm going to get a new grill, just in case, and I like that portable BBQ idea!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:30 pm 

I love the portable grill idea! I think we may just invest in one.