You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:52 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've never (touch wood) been stung by a bee before. This week I read in a magazine (possibly Chatelaine) that those with food allergies who haven't been stung before should, if stung, immediately take an epi-pen just to be sure. I am kind of fearful of bees for this reason, but thought I had also read somewhere that those with food allergies are not any more likely than anyone else to be allergic to bees.

What's your bee sting back up plan, for those of you with kids who have food allergies but don't know about bees? Would you wait to look for symptoms, or go ahead and give the epi?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

First of all, carry your Epi-Pen at all times. That way if you have a problem, your medication is close at hand.

We try very hard to ensure that we don't give our daughter anything that she is allergic to but...she has had several reactions which required the Epi-Pen over the years most of which occured while in our care.

Anytime that she develops hives accompanied by facial swelling, breathing difficulty, change in conciousness, vommitting/diarrhea or any combination of these symptoms we ask ourselves, "Has she been in contact with an allergen?" Even if we don't think she has, we will give her the Epi-Pen and call 911 because you never know if she's picked something up on her mittens from the school bus and rubbered her eyes which allowed the allergen to cross over into the blood stream (happened once-we think), if she's developed a new allergy (happened a few times) or if the food has become contaminated (not yet but possible).

Bottom line is if you suspect an allergy, give the Epi-Pen and call 911.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 am 

when my allergic son was younger I used to worry about this and did some asking around.

From what I was told ( some years ago now) bee sting allergy is more common if you have been stung more than once. being food allergic doenst nessersarily mean that bees are going to be a problem for you.

if anything , we are more prepared , and have less to worry about, as we are already carrying epi pens.
So there is no need to plan or particularly worry.

My sil has wasp and bee allergy, and carries epi pens during the summer and autumn seasons, which with the long gap during winter means that its easy to forget your epi pens, and also forget to check expiry dates.

As a family , sil four children join my four in epi pen training sessions.
it just makes picnics more relaxing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:05 pm 

Thanks to you both for your replies, and you're right, we might even have less to worry about than the average person who doesn't carry epis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 am 

I find that advice in the magazine you referred to very -- um -- wrong.

My son has an allergy to at least one stinging and one biting insect -- but I wouldn't give him an epi-pen if he got stung unless there was a reaction. He gets bit by mosquitos all the time, and one year there were fleas in the school sand-box and he was getting bit daily. No way do I want him getting epi'd for non-allergic bites/stings.