You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:46 pm 

I can't figure out the difference between Oral Allergy Syndrome and Allergy...can someone please explain the difference to me? :) I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything, although I'm sure there is something on here...thanks so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:45 pm 

I don't really know the science behind it but I know from personal experience that my OAS to raw fruits and veggies means I get an itchy mouth and tingly lips from eating them. I'm pretty sure it just means that the symptoms are confined to your mouth, i.e. itchy mouth, throat, lips,cheeks. I know I also would get itchy on the inside of my ears (ears, throat, and nose are all connected).
I'm pretty sure the difference is that in a regular allergy, it may involve several systems like nervous, respiratory, etc. but in OAS it's just in your mouth. Also, a regular allergy could be serious (different degrees for everyone). Personally, if I ate a raw fruit or veggie I would drink some ginger ale or something bubbly and for some odd reason it used to help it subside quickly but if it took long I would just pop and allegra or benadryl.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52 am 

See this conversation for a brief discussion of OAS:

viewtopic.php?t=146

There is a CFIA page that has lot of good info:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rale.shtml

OAS can actually result in anaphylaxis, although my understanding is that it is rare.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 pm 

Thanks!
Another question...:) Do people with OAS test positive for these allergens on skin or blood tests? ( I have a neice who gets a scratchy, itchy throat after consuming something (I forget what it is), but continually tests negative for that food) Just wondering if that is why there is the distinction between OAS and Allergy.

Thanks for your input!!

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:31 am 

From the CFIA website, it looks like the distinction is that you test positive to pollens, and then react to fruits and veggies with similar proteins, and the reaction is in the mouth area. Also, with OAS, usually if you heat the fruit or veggie, you are okay to eat it. It's the raw form that causes problems for people with OAS. If you are truly allergic to a food (e.g. apples), I would think that you would have a hard time eating it in any format.

But that is the fun with allergies - not all the rules are constant. Egg allergies are one classic example of that - some people can eat eggs cooked but not raw (e.g. mayo), while others cannot eat them in any form.

My son does not test positive to apples or canteloup melon, yet sometimes has OAS-type problems with them (depending on the season). He tests positive on skin tests to birch and maple trees, grass and ragweed.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:51 am 

Thanks Karen! I now "get it" from your explanation! Appreciate it!!

Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 am 

I never test positive for apples in a skin test, but I did get a strong reaction when I brought an apple to my allergist, had him mash it up and test me with that. He has terrible bedside manner and can be a pain to deal with, but he's good---he told me to always bring in an actual food to test if I thought I was reacting to something new.

He said OAS is different one two ways. One, it is not a systemic reaction (i.e. not in your blood system. It would be like touching poison ivy, you would react where your skin touched it but it would just be a localized reaction. Two, many people with OAS as opposed to allergy can have it cooked because it kills the proteins. I can have apple pie and applesauce with no problems, for example. And he even thinks that a different breed of raw apple, or a raw apple eaten at a different time of year, would be fine. But I have been scared to try that :)

I think the key with OAS is that it is linked to something else. It is not the apple I am actually reacting to so much as the birch proteins because they are in the same family. If it was not for that, apples would be fine.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)